Oriskany 2nd Anniversary Dive Report 5-17-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a diving hiatus of close to three months I decided to treat myself to a great dive after getting such good grades this semester. I decided to dive the Oriskany on the second anniversary of its sinking as an artificial reef. The weather two days before was not cooperating and the skies and seas did not favor a trip out this Saturday (5-17-08) and I was sure we were going to get blown out. I woke up this morning and was glad to see sunny skies and nice seas on my drive over to Orange Beach from Pensacola. The ride out was a little sloppy with twos and threes, but it was laying down the whole ride there and by our arrival we were in one foot seas. I splashed in and was pleased to see that the really bad weather didn’t totally crap out the visibility. I would say viz was about 60 ft, surface temps were 72 (have not verified with my computer) and temps at the flag bridge was 69*. I did this dive in my 3 mm and was fine until my second dive when I got a little chilled. I was really psyched to see all the life and growth on the “O” in just two years. It has totally changed as a dive since I dove the “O” 30 days after it was sunk. I had a great time with Captain Gary (algulfdiver) and divemaster John did a great job as always. Diving with Amadus98 and Denisegg is always a pleasure and this trip was no exception. I can’t wait until the next adventure; maybe we could hit the Chevron……????????

Here are a few pics of the dive:
0204.JPG

0232.JPG

0292.JPG

0362.JPG

039.JPG

0461.JPG

0532.JPG

0632.JPG

072.JPG

0821.JPG

0891.JPG

093.JPG

097.JPG

099.JPG

1132.JPG

1154.JPG

Last edited:
nice pictures,I really need to get down there and dive the O.

Nice pics they were really nice . I wanted to get out there this weekend myself but as always "I have drill when somethign major like that goes on" LOL

I can't believe I almost forgot to post this cool pic of Denisegg at the door of the pri-fly bridge

0641.JPG

Nice pictures and good report. I'm diving the Oriskany May 31. My group is also using Gary in Orange Beach. I'd been trying to decide wetsuit or drysuit, but your report on bottom temps convinced me to dive dry one more time this year. Thanks for the pics and report. :palmtree: Bob

Great pics thanks for sharing...I really need to get up to Pensacola.

Cheers.

-J.-

I'm glad you had a good dive. The pictures are great. Viz was better than our Panama City dives by far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom