PNG Vs Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lurch

Registered
Reaction score
Have a voucher with PHD and I am debating on using it on PNG boat or Bali boat. Would appreciate advice from anyone who has been to the areas as to which to choose. Thanks in advance.

PNG Is
Remote Diving, Lotsa WW2 wrecks, lotsa big fish, sharks, more wrecks, Schools of Mantas, more wrecks, Big walls, masive drop offs.

Bali is
Reef, lotsa reef, some more reef, oh theres a wreck, thats a nice reef, wow there's a shark, this is a nice reef.

PNG Diving is untouched tropical paradise remote and amazing
BALI is or was :upset: tourist central, hopefilly it will be oneday again soon.

Oh if you do end up going to PNG and need a guide let me know
:D

I disagree with Sydney - our opinions are 180 degrees, but it depends where you go and what you would like to see.

I went to Kavieng, PNG (Mike Ball) in 2001 and was mildly dissappointed as they said the area features shark/pelagics, but unfortunately we rarely saw them, then only a fleeting glance, and never any Silver Tips. The typical excuse was that they had all been fished out by rogue Japanese trawlers.

The main attraction to me was the Nautilus dives as I really wanted to photograph them. Mike Ball's representative, Nyna, informed me that they take great care not to hurt the Nautilus as they lower a cray (lobster) trap down to 300+ ft and catch the Nautilus, then do not bring it to the surface as that would expose the animals to pressure changes (similar to DCS in divers). Rather, they only raise the trap to ~90 feet and the divers / photographers descend to that depth to see the Nautilus being released. It truly sounded like they were concerned about the animal's well being so I was happy about their concern.

Diving with The Nautilus was the main anticipation for me and the prime mover in myself signing up. I was a bit surprised upon arrival nd they said the trap had been hung on a reef the week before and damaged so they wouldn't be doing any Nautilus dives. There were two Engineers onboard and I was surprised that they couldn't fix a lobster trap.

In 1997 I went to Bali and spent a week diving at Menjengan Island which was absolutely fantastic with great density of reef marinelife, easy drift diving and turtles that wouldn't move away until you were a meter away from them.

SYD could be right if you like macro stuff and headed to Milne Bay as I've herad that is great. I've also heard raving reviews of Walindi in PNG.

With regards to Bali diving being routine, SYD could be right if you went to Bali and did dives right next to the cities of Kuta or Sanur, but Menjengan Island North had a great wall.

It doesn't sound like price is a factor, but PNG will be much more expensive and land based diving in Bali is quite cheap, but I'm planning on looking into liveaboards too.

Having lived in both Bali and PNG as a Dive instructor
And From your post umm what part of my information do you disagree on ? :confused:

RSdiver once bubbled...
I disagree with Sydney - our opinions are 180 degrees, but it depends where you go and what you would like to see.

I went to Kavieng, PNG (Mike Ball) in 2001 and was terribly dissappointed as I love reefs and that area features shark/pelagics. In 1997 I went to Bali and spent a week diving at Menjagen Island which was absolutely fantastic with great density of reef marinelife, easy drift diving and turtles that wouldn't move away until you were a meter away from them.

SYD could be right if you like macro stuff and headed to Milne Bay as I've herad that is great. I've also heard raving reviews of Walindi in PNG.
SYD could also be right if you went to Bali and did dives right next to the cities of Kuta or Sanur.

It doesn't sound like price is a factor, but PNG will be much more expensive and land based diving in Bali is quite cheap.

Personally, I'm planning on going to Bali and plane transferring to the SCUBA resort on South Sulawesi:
Wakatobi *Click Here*
:confused:

Thanks for the input. I will be going by liveaboard, Komodo Dancer in Bali or Star Dancer in PNG. So neither will be land based and the Komodo dancer does alot of Komodo National Park. Any more pointers or advise would be appreciated.

RSDiver, you were only disappointed because you did not get to see what you wanted. Kavieng has great diving if you want pelagics. You didn't. But then that's Mike Ball for you. Bad provision of info on their part or bad research on yours, I am afraid....

The choice is simple with regards to diving - PNG

As for the choice on the boat. Well Star Dancer is not much good, to be honest, and she certainly does not cover the best diving there is to be had on PNG, unless she goes round Kimbe Bay in whcih case it is very nice diving there. I have heard good and bad reports on Komodo Dancer as a boat.

My advice is to use your voucher elsewhere, such as the Galapagos, and do a decent live-aboard in PNG.

scuba jim what live aboard do you recommend in png and what time of year would be good?

I just returned from a dive trip and met a fellow diver who thinks that the Golden Dawn in PNG is absolutely the best, making plans to return again and again.

Syd, any opinion on the Golden dawn?

Lurch,

I met a guy this summer on a liveaboard in Turks & Caicos. He had been on 42 liveaboards!!!! His favorite was the Star Dancer in PNG hands down. I'd say check it out. I'm sniffing in that direction myself. Best of luck!

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom