Adjusting Hog Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just picked up my first BPW and the harness is simple enough to figure out *how* to adjust it...I'm just not sure how exactly it's supposed to fit...Tight here, loose there, etc. Any tips on how to adjust it, good guidelines to run by? I won't be able to actually dive it for a few weeks, and even then it'll be a pain to accomplish so I'm limited mostly to adjusting it out of water for now.

Also, the webbing is much longer than it needs to be, is it taboo for any reason to cut the webbing to a more manageable length? I'm not going to get an earful from a GUE guy if I run into DIRF in the future for having my harness cut?

It's not taboo to cut your harness. Just make sure you're in your thickest possible exposure protection when you measure and preferably after you have a few dives on it. Even then leave a little extra. As far as adjustments here's a link to get you started DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Thanks for the links, guys! I knew I'd seen the info here before (over a year ago) but I couldn't find it searching! Now I need to determine what I'm going to spend my money on for thermal protection....

I just finished the first two days of my fundies course, and all of the people in the course had their harnesses way too loose. If you're anything like me and the other guys in my fundies class, you will have a tendency to want your harness much looser than it should be, especially the crotch strap.

If you can find someone with experiences on harness adjustment, it will be nice you try to have him/her help you out. When I first started my setup, I made lots of research on the net and set mine accordingly. But when I was taking my Fundies back then, I realized that I didn't rig it properly...........too loose.

Anyway. just my 2 cents. Hope it's helpful.

Just wanted to echo the sentiment not to cut the harness until you've had a chance to dive the rig a few times, and you're quite sure you have it right. I cut the webbing on my doubles rig too short, and I've been too lazy to replace it, so the harness is just a tad too tight and the waist belt is hard to fasten. Very annoying, and so easily avoided . . .

Back
Top Bottom