Sherwood Magnum nitrox ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Mell

Registered
Reaction score
hey was just wondering if the magnum comes nitrox ready? if not what needs to be done to make it nitrox ready

Out of the box the Magnum reg is not Nitrox Ready. There is a kit that you can get at any Sherwood Dealer, and they can install the kit. The whole thing should cost you about what it costs for an annual service.

Good diving,

Sherwood Rep

Sherwood Scuba states as a matter of policy that our regulators "out of the box" are not Nitrox cleaned. In order to dive with Nitrox up to 40% it is reccomended that you have the regulator Nitrox cleaned and that you use the Nitrox parts kit.

If you choose to do otherwise that is your decision.

Good diving,

Sherwood Scuba Rep

Where does Sherwood "state as a matter of policy that our regulators "out of the box" are not Nitrox cleaned."? I just finished reading the Sherwood Scuba Owner's Manual for the MAXIMUS SRB7600 and nowhere in that manual does it state that the regulator is not cleaned for nitrox use. Since the owners manual is the only documentation that a diver has for the regulator I would think it would be mentioned in the manual. Are you the official spokesperson for Sherwood Scuba?

I just went to the Sherwood website and downloaded the owner's manual (to confirm I was looking at the newest version) for the magnum. There is nothing in there stating the need for special upgrades to make the regulator nitrox compatible.

If you choose to do otherwise that is your decision.

If what you are saying is truly the case, there is a major liability problem on the part of Sherwood for not informing their customers that it is not safe to dive their products on nitrox "out of the box".

I am not the official spokesman for Sherwood Scuba, I am one of the sales representatives.

But here is my line of thinking, if Sherwood or other regulator was to list every gas the regulator was not intended for the list would go on and on. For example, not to be used with Nitrox, not to be used with Argon, not to be used with Tri Mix, not to be used with Acetylene.... you get the picture.

No where in the Sherwood manual does it state "ready for Nitrox use", so why would we assume that it is ready? Other regulators promote that fact that they are Nitrox Ready, why would we assume it is safe to with Nitrox if the manual doesn't say that it is okay?

There are a couple of Sherwood Regulators that are Nitrox Ready out of the box, those are the SR1 and the Gemini.

Hope this clarifies things a little better.

I am not the official spokesman for Sherwood Scuba, I am one of the sales representatives. I already knew that...it was a rhetorical question

But here is my line of thinking, if Sherwood or other regulator was to list every gas the regulator was not intended for the list would go on and on. For example, not to be used with Nitrox, not to be used with Argon, not to be used with Tri Mix, why can't it be used with trimix? I don't dive trimix nor do I mix it, but doesn't trimix usually have a lower O2 content than the compressed air we normally breath? not to be used with Acetylene.... you get the picture. You're talking about common sense now. The average person knows not to breath Acetylene for any reason. There is no reason a regulator (any brand) can't be used for Argon - just don't breath it!!:D

No where in the Sherwood manual does it state "ready for Nitrox use", so why would we assume that it is ready? Because it is not specifically excluded. Other regulators promote that fact that they are Nitrox Ready, and we know why that is why would we assume it is safe to with Nitrox if the manual doesn't say that it is okay?

There are a couple of Sherwood Regulators that are Nitrox Ready out of the box, those are the SR1 and the Gemini.

Hope this clarifies things a little better. Actually it didn't clarify anything. The bottom line is hundreds or thousands of divers have been using "out of the box" regs of all brands for years without incident and will continue to do so in spite of what a company rep says on an internet forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom