Need a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a computer to use for Nitrox. I am very new to diving and pretty old so I need one that has LARGE numbers on the display. I'd like to be able to switch gases during the day so I would like one that has the ability to change to different Nitrox blends.

I have a friend who is a dive master and he suggested the Suunto Vyper. I have a few questions about the Vyper. What is the difference between the Cobra and the Vyper? What about the Vyper 2 or Cobra 2 models? Am I gaining anything going to these? I have hunted the internet and am confused by the differences.

Open to other suggestion...my dive shop is pushing hard for me to buy the one they carry (probably three, one for the son and wife too), but I'm not too sure about it, as I am having a hard time reading the display. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

For the money, the nitek duo is a great choice. With gas switching and such, you can keep that computer until you start getting into trimix (and it works as a bottom timer even then). You're talking less than $50 more for a computer that does waaaay more than the ones they're trying to sell you on.

All the nitrox computers out there will let you set your Nitrox PO2/F02 on a per dive basis.
So, if you only want/need to switch nitrox mixes between dives rather than switch gas
blends during the actual dive, you won't need a computer that supports multiple gases
or trimix.

As far as large displays go, have a look at some of the Aeris/Oceanic/Sherwood computers.
The Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II and the Sherwood Wisdom have some of the largest
displays I've ever seen.

If you stay in the same brand you won't necessarily have to get everyone the exact same computer
to get the same features and same loading algorithms.

--- bill

I'll have to say for someone that is as blind as a bat, the sherwood wisdom works very well for me.

The Seiko based ones like the Cressi Archimedes, Zeakle N2ition, Nitek, Aeris, and Tusa uses a version too. THey are all basically the same. Love my Cressi. Very easy to read, does all the things you want.

Try these web sites out. It's the Cressi site, but it's an online demo of the computer. First is the main link, select multimedia to open the demo site. I'm putting the demo site too but have both in case one does not work. All the other models I listed will look roughly the same displaywise so this will give you a good idea.

cressi

cressi

i personally recommend Cochran www.divecochran.com for you i think the EMC-16 would suit you nicely, unless you would like to have the air intergrated one, then i say go with the gemini. hope this helps.

narced_1

What is the difference between the Cobra and the Vyper? What about the Vyper 2 or Cobra 2 models?

The Cobra and Cobra2 are air integrated. The Vyper and Vyper2 are not. Other than that, they are functionally identical.

The difference between the standard model and the 2 model is the the 2 model is the newer version and has an electronic compass built into the system. The digital compass is a miniature compass with an electronic sensor that picks up the location of the needle and then displays the result. As a land surveyor who often uses compasses, for my money, digit compasses above the water surface are significantly less useful than the 4000 year old, tried and true floating needle technology. In my experience, under the water the digital compass is even less useful than above the water.

Ian

Oh, if you have a digital compass on your computer, you can't just pop an analogue version on the console; the two needles will attract each other and make both compasses useless.

Diverite Nitek Duo. Great little computer for the money

I am looking for a computer to use for Nitrox. I am very new to diving and pretty old so I need one that has LARGE numbers on the display. I'd like to be able to switch gases during the day so I would like one that has the ability to change to different Nitrox blends.

I have a friend who is a dive master and he suggested the Suunto Vyper. I have a few questions about the Vyper. What is the difference between the Cobra and the Vyper? What about the Vyper 2 or Cobra 2 models? Am I gaining anything going to these? I have hunted the internet and am confused by the differences.

Open to other suggestion...my dive shop is pushing hard for me to buy the one they carry (probably three, one for the son and wife too), but I'm not too sure about it, as I am having a hard time reading the display. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

The most recent edition of Scuba Diving magazine has a great graphic comparison of dive computers, and it shows how many gas switches you can do with each one.

Regarding the vision issue, optometry clinics will add prescription lenses to any 2-glass diving mask. You might need that to see the dials and gauges underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom