SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted this elswhere in the forum, but I think it would be nice to have an answer from the sherwood representant.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/229937-my-first-reg-2.html

I bought a SR1 last month. This weekend, I went diving and a problem occured. When I opened the tank, the small rubber disc on the 1st stage blew up. The previous time I dove, I had heard an unplesant hissing sound comming from there.

What's the problem? I have heard it already happened on a demo Regulator, but on a brand new? Is it a bad batch?

FYI,

Today me and my wife recieved our two SR1, and BOTH blewed up at the diving site when the diving instructor open the tank. LOL.. both regulator are not even in the water yet.

As Xaryo describe before, both of the SR1 we recieved start with 1C for the serial.

I am surprised that the Sherwood rep has not chimed in here yet???

Phil

FYI,

Today me and my wife recieved our two SR1, and BOTH blewed up at the diving site when the diving instructor open the tank. LOL.. both regulator are not even in the water yet.

As Xaryo describe before, both of the SR1 we recieved start with 1C for the serial.

Where do you come from? From what they told me, they had a douzain of malfunctionning regs (so far) which were located on the East Coast, Manitoba and Québec (me, at least).

What happenned to your dive? Did your instructor let you dive with blown reg? If it is not cold water, it is less of a problem than if it was cold water, although you might get uncomfortable with the idea of diving with a broken reg.

Return them to your LDS. It is garantied. Just make sure you registred them on the Sherwood website.

We lived in Taiwan & our Coach is also our LDS

We end up renting the regulator from the coach for that dive & we return the regulator and decided to go for SP MK25/S600.

Dear SCUTW

Please take your two regulators into the shop you purchased them at. They will take care of it without question.

Sherwood Scuba

Dear SCUTW

Please take your two regulators into the shop you purchased them at. They will take care of it without question.

Sherwood Scuba

I would be intersted in knowing if this is an isolated issue or a more widespread issue with these regs. If it is widespread and judging from the above post it appears it may be, what is the cause of the failure and what is the fix?

I would be intersted in knowing if this is an isolated issue or a more widespread issue with these regs. If it is widespread and judging from the above post it appears it may be, what is the cause of the failure and what is the fix?

I too would be more interested in what this problem is and if this is affecting a large portion of their regs???

Phil

The information I have is that this has affected a very small number of regulators. Of the total regulators that we have shipped, this has happened to only 1.5% of the regulators.

Just to clear this up a little more. When this does happen it does not pose any threat to the diver. The small diaphragm is there to maintain the environmental seal to the first stage. If it does explode the regulator will still breathe as it normally would and poses no danger, it is simply no longer environmentally sealed.

Got ya, sounds like the enviro seal is sticking shut and finally turning loose with a bit of noise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom