Pole Spear Length/Type Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inetmug

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got certified off Jupiter yesterday. It all went well. What was apparent is that it will take awhile to get out skills up to snuff regarding pole spearing. I am doing this with a bunch of teenagers so there will be no spear guns for quite some time until everyone has become a very good diver. I also figure this will make better hunters out all of us. It also was clear that there is little or nothing to spear off the 60-80 foot ledges off Jupiter - lots of pretty stuff though.

I will be diving primarily out of Sebastian/Vero, and Ft. Pierce, with some Port Canaveral, and occasional south Fl. and the keys.

I currently have a 6' fiberglass spear that is what most commercial divers use out of Port Canaveral. I have seen on the boards that 10' is required for the cleaner water south of Jupiter to get close enough.

Can 'yall provide any insight into brands/type/places-to-buy for various clarity and depth?

Thanks!

Hi inetmug,

Gat-Ku and Crist both make 10 foot pole spears. I don't see it on the Crist website but they do make an 8 foot spear with an 18 inch shaft that is just under 10 feet total.

I would not say that a 10 footer is "required" for clearer waters but I think you will appreciate the extra reach that you have on fish with a longer pole spear. For years I used a 7 foot pole spear in South Florida and the Bahamas and did fine with it. I have a longer one too but I still use the 7 footer frequently because it breaks down into 3 peices and is convenient to carry in my kayak.

All of your pole spear practice will pay off if you go to the Bahamas since you can't use a speargun over there :)

For shooting larger fish like grouper I slowly stalk them and shoot them once they hole up under a coral head. Sometimes that is the only way you can get within pole spear range of them.

Back
Top Bottom