Could it be...spring/summer is here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Went to Whittier on Saturday for a day of diving. The sun was shining on both side of the tunnel, the hooligan dipnetters were out on 20-mile Creek and along the highway, the first cruise ship was tied onto the dock at Whittier, and there was a long line of boats waiting in line for the tunnel, all sure signs that winter is gone. BTW, did two dives, 50 foot vis. What a great day.

Yep! Finally!

I did 8 dives last weekend Sunday finally felt like spring! Hope to get some fun! dives in this weekend.

Dave

The dives only count if they are longer than 10 minutes at a shot...or a tank change whichever is longer so that makes it two dives:)

Anyway, see you on the Kathleen.

Yup, glad the warm weather is here finally. Makes getting into the drysuit a chore, but it's such a relief to get in the water. Vis was about 50' yesterday at Mountain Point, temp about 45 degrees at depth. Coming back up to the warmer water for the safety stop was nice too!

Didn't have me camera with me, because the batteries need to be charged, but I saw a grunt sculpin I would have loved to get a photo of. Looked just like this one though (http://www.hoodsportndive.com/images/Grunt Sculpin-side.jpg), and a couple of large Puget Sound king crab.

MK, any treasure at Mary's Island? How was the diving there otherwise?

Didn't do any dives at Mary's Island cause the wind/waves weren't acceptable for leaving the boat unattended. So we did the next best thing and swam around and beach combed on a great sandy beach all to ourselves:D
The dives we did do sucked...just kidding, they were awesome! Dove at Totem Bight and in George Inlet at Mahoney Cove (site of an old mining operation) both good dive sites. Descended through 15' of juvie jellies and particles, then it opens up to 50/60' viz, I took pics. I expect maybe the same conditions in Juneau? How about a Kathleen/Sophia report?
We'll be going back to Mahoney Cove with scooters, more area to check out, we came across a large mooring anchor, lots of cable, dishes/pans, beer bottles, etc. everything you would expect from old time mining.

Poog:coffee:

Kathleen report? We could have used your scooters! Current was horrid, fist time I've actually had to hang onto the wreck to not get blown off. We couldn't even get up to the bow. Vis was really good though and we did a pretty good tour of the ship down to about 110'. I think akscubainst is going to youtube some video. I only did one dive the other two divers did a dive on Erin Island (wall) and they said the vis was awesome there and they got a nice sea lion visit.

Friday did Auke rec and same old story there. Vis was crappy but there where a supprising number of king crab on the deeper wreck and the last several dives I've started to see some actual halibut (not worth eating but not flounder either).

I hope to do another dive today...the weather is so nice though I don't know. Such are the souteast divers choices:confused:.

I hope to do another dive today...the weather is so nice though I don't know. Such are the southeast divers choices:confused:.

I know exactly what you mean-it was 86 here in the shade today so we canned putting on drysuits and were bums all day:ardbeg17yo:
Too bad about the current on the Kathleen, I'm curious, is the stern steering wheel still back there? I remember that as one of the highlights of my last dive there. Anyway were puttin' away the suits until tomorrow when we'll do a dive after work and it'll be a bit cooler...can't believe I'm saying that:shakehead:

Happy Diving,

Poog:coffee:

Mahoney would be fun to check out. Let me know if you have room for a 3rd, as I have Sunday/Monday/Tuesday as my next weekend off. Last time I was out there I was in my kayak. I found the actual mine, and wouldn't mind poking my head inside to see what's there. The Forest Service had put a gate in front of the entrance, but someone had peeled it away so you could get inside.

I haven't used my scooter in ages, I wonder if it still works! :wink:

Brian

"Too bad about the current on the Kathleen, I'm curious, is the stern steering wheel still back there?"

The stern steering station is still there. The deeper you get the better her condition seems to be, shallow she's in rough shape.

Back
Top Bottom