Caribbean in the Spring??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

falcon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We have not dove in the carribean in the spring, only in the summer. We are midwest freshwater divers that are use to the warm 55-60 degree waters of the lake. How does the water temperature compare in Cozemel and Grand Caymen in mid March to what it is in the Summer during August? Is any kind of exposure suit necessary?

I have dove Coz and Grand Cayman in March. I dove with a shorty. I think the temps were in the high seventies to low eighties.

The waters around Grand Cayman are a pleasant 82F now in early March. By August you could expect that the temp will rise to about 85-86F or so.

I've already hung up my wetsuit until next year except for an occasional tech dive that runs a couple hours. Your comfort level may vary.

Water temps have always been above 80 in the Caymans- Grand/Brac/Little, in Mar. and April. The same is true of Caicos, Bonaire,and Coz. If you are diving multiple dives, I would suggest a wet suit, maybe 3mm or at least dive skin. In the Caymans in the spring there tends to be areas of thimble jellies, the larvae can produce a rash so a wet suit or covering would be advised.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :wink:

Best advice I have gotten from old time Coz divers is:

Winter: Nov-Feb 3mm full

Spring/Fall Apr-May and Sep-Oct: shortie

Summer: Jun-Aug: skin or nothing

Rich

Back
Top Bottom