Is it a bad idea to dive with NO ditchable weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to dive without any ditchable weights?

I was diving with 14lbs. of lead attached to a Balance BC, Steel HP100, and a 7mm full suit. However, I recently switched to a BP/W setup. My plate weighs 5lbs, and I've added an Oxycheq 4lbs weight sausage to the plate. This gives me a total of 9lbs.

When I factor in all the metal hardware (D-rings, Cam Bands, Belt buckle) into the equation. I should be somewhere around 10lbs weighed, easily. Given that my Balance BC has about a +3lbs positive bouyancy, I should be able sink without any addition weight.

So! Is this dangerous for me to dive with such a setup?

Is it a bad idea to dive without any ditchable weights?
If you have no ditchable weights, i.e. you're negatively buoyant with no weights, it's a good idea to have redundant buoyancy - a dry suit and BC, for example, or, if diving wet, a BC and a lift bag.
Rick

It is only a bad idea if you can not get back to the surface. In other words have back up as described above or be able to swim your rig back to the surface.

You could always take the 4 lb. weight and move it to a weight pocket that has a quick dump feature. I know Dive Rite and OMS make them, probably others too. Another option would be to go to an aluminum plate.

Other than that, get out and test dive the setup and see how it performs, maybe try a simulated BC malfunction where you lose buoyancy, and definitely with a buddy who is capable of interceding if you have a problem.

I haven't used ditchable weights in a few years. Neither do most of the divers I know.

Think about it. What will happen if you ditch your weights at depth?

You'll become positively buoyant, right? And this means you'll start ascending.

Without any weights, you won't be able to control this ascent. As your neoprene expands due to lack of pressure on it, you will become more positively buoyant and ascend faster. This will likely result in an AGE.

Like I teach my students, ditchable weights are a great idea when you're on the surface and need to hand your weight belt to the boat crew for whatever reason. They're not such a great idea at depth.

The main thing to be sure of is that you can swim your rig to the surface if your BC goes south. If you can do so, ditchable weight is not all that necessary. If you can not swim your rig up, then you may want to have some ditch weight. If you are properly weighted, you won't need much.

However NEVER ditch a lot of weight at depth, unless it is your only option between life and death. You will pop to the surface like a rocket, and you will likely end up with DCS depending on how deep and long you were down.

The main thing to be sure of is that you can swim your rig to the surface if your BC goes south. If you can do so, ditchable weight is not all that necessary. If you can not swim your rig up, then you may want to have some ditch weight. If you are properly weighted, you won't need much.

This probably answers your concern. The important thing is to have a balanced rig.

I appreciate everyone's comment. On my next dive, I will attemp to swim up without any air in my wing.
Even if you can swim it up, I recommend having redundant buoyancy. If ditching your rig in order to float satisfies you, that's fine... but personally I'd rather be able to both float and keep mine :D
Rick

I haven't used ditchable weights in a few years. Neither do most of the divers I know.

Think about it. What will happen if you ditch your weights at depth?

You'll become positively buoyant, right? And this means you'll start ascending.

Without any weights, you won't be able to control this ascent.
Well ... that's not really true, you can flare and that will slow you down below 60 fpm.
As your neoprene expands due to lack of pressure on it, you will become more positively buoyant and ascend faster. This will likely result in an AGE.
You get an AGE if you hold your breath, you can surface in excess of 300 fpm (submarine escape training is done at an average of 340 fpm) without any AGE concern, as long as you keep your airway open. It is possible that a buoyant ascent following a long dive that requires mandatory decompression could result in DCS, but to my way of thinking DCS is preferable to no ascent at all.
Like I teach my students, ditchable weights are a great idea when you're on the surface and need to hand your weight belt to the boat crew for whatever reason. They're not such a great idea at depth.
I could not disagree more wholeheartedly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom