TransPac and Backplates...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prevailer

Reaction score
I am wondering why the TransPac is NOT to be used with a b/p? I assume there is a safety reason for this? Dive Rite seems pretty firm on this issue....

I know several experienced divers who use a b/p with their TransPac (Minnesota dry suits can use the extra weight), one of whom primarily dives doubles. Maybe they setup before the debut of the TransPlate, not sure. Personally, I can think of no reason why it would matter that a TransPac has a b/p attached to it, and would like the additional weight and stability to my own TransPac rig for thicker wetsuits and DS diving. I would prefer not to be forced to dump my rig for another.

Help me out with this one, Dive Rite??

Hi Prevailer,

Thanks for asking - it is a good question. Indeed, divers who wanted the comfort of the TransPac but needed the extra weight that a backplate can offer didn't have many options in the past and modified the gear to suit their needs. As a direct result we developed the Transplate - a product specifically designed to accommodate those needs.

Theoretically there is no reason why you can't add a backplate to the TransPac, but the product was not designed for that purpose. The only way to secure the backplate to the TransPac is with bolts, the backplate can't thread through any webbing and this does not make the rig as secure as a proper backplate harness. Also, if you are using twin tanks, you must have blots that are long enough to reach all the way through what by this stage has becomes a rather bulky unit. Further, you won't be able to use the lumbar pad in that configuration, the modification might effect your comfort and limit your ability to take advantage of various features of the TransPac.

If you have any other questions you can always contact us, we're happy to help.

Dive safe!

Best,
Ag

I am wondering why the TransPac is NOT to be used with a b/p? I assume there is a safety reason for this? Dive Rite seems pretty firm on this issue....

I know several experienced divers who use a b/p with their TransPac (Minnesota dry suits can use the extra weight), one of whom primarily dives doubles. Maybe they setup before the debut of the TransPlate, not sure. Personally, I can think of no reason why it would matter that a TransPac has a b/p attached to it, and would like the additional weight and stability to my own TransPac rig for thicker wetsuits and DS diving. I would prefer not to be forced to dump my rig for another.

Help me out with this one, Dive Rite??

Thanks for the response Ag...makes more sense to me now!

Back
Top Bottom