Lightweightweight travel BCD-Zeagle Escape vs. Sherwood Avid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had a Cressi-Sub Aqualight-R which I think is a great BCD for traveling andf because it has a lot of features like large pockets, double tank bands, carrying handle and is stable on the water surface. My ONLY complaint is the weight release system which is the "fall away" gravity type weight holding pocket. It's in excellent condition.

I am considering getting either a Zeagle Escape ($320) or a Sherwood Avid ($265) from LeisurePro.

The Zeagle is lighter and has the 2 tank bands, handle, but smaller pockets than the Cressi. Seems sturdy. Has 3 valves, one at the back top of the inflater end and one each on the right and lower rear of the BCD in the back. Never saw that before (2 at each bottom rear). Has rear weight pockets which are a new thing for me but I think it's for ballast to keep you upright on the surface. I think it could use some extra attachment rings but I could always add some. Back padding seems a bit thin. Has "conventional pull out" weight release system.

I do know that Zeagle is a high quality product though.

The Sherwood Avid is a pound or 2 heavier has 2 tank bands, handle, and larger pockets than the Zeagle. Has an extra little pocket for a snorkle (no big deal) .Seems sturdy also and with better back support. Has valve at inflator end and 1 each at top and bottom of back on right side (wearing BCD facing forward) . Is that valve arrangement better?

Also has ballast weight pockets at rear. Has "conventional pull out" weight release system also.

The price differential is not a factor and would like to get feedback on which BCD to get and why (both fit comfortably also). I do know that Sherwood had a recall on the inflator button a few years ago but this has been corrected.

Which would you choose?

Thanks,

Sy

Zeagle...better service from my experience.

I am not sure I would consider Sherwood AVID a light BC for travel. It's a bit bulky (in my opinion) but it sure looks pretty comfortable with those padding and stuffs.

I'm also not so sure the Sherwood Avid is a light weight.
It is however a great value for the price.
Sherwood BCs and regs are very common to see as rental gear because of the value, features and reliability.
I used the Avid during my OW training and checkout dives. It functioned flawlessly and was comfortable but I prefer the higher lift of hybrid back inflation on the Tortuga.
Extra valves can come in handy or be another failure point (althought it isn't known to be a problem)
If you have a LDS that is a Sherwood dealer service shouldn't be a problem. I would check to see if LP is authorized by both Sherwood & Zeagle or better yet try to get a price match from a LDS or ScubaToys.

I've been using a Zeagle Brigade (2nd hand to me) originally from ScubaToys. It's not in the price range that you have shown, but, I was also looking at the Zeagle Escape before I decided to go to the Brigade instead. I've used the Avid as rental equipment, before I used my Brigade, and I found a world of difference between them.

I'm completely converted to the Back style.

You may think that the Escape as too little lift for you, but the Brigade has the same bladder.

What ever you do, enjoy.

sytech

I can' speak for the Zeagle or Cresi products but I can give you some AVID feedback.

To your questions:

The trim weights pockets in the back allow you to move some weight higher on your body to correct trim. If you tend to have droopy feet moving 4-6 pounds up there will tip the see-saw nicely.

The AVID has 4 dump valves. The inflater button, If you tug the inflater hose it activates a dump at the left shoulder attachment, You have a pull cord for one on the right shoulder and the right back side. The latter is my personal favorite.

It's a great BC that I have used for nearly 300 dives. But... There is only a but

1. As you note it's not terribly light but you can buy much heavier. There isn't a lot of padding so it actually packs tight but it is hardware rich. If you looking for a dedicated travel BC in this age of gear hostile airlines it may not be optimal.

2. The models since 2005 use 2 cheesy plastic guides for the waist strap that goes over the cummerbund. The plastic that is stitched into the binding is about .020" thick and heavily perforated with the sewing. If you should ever accidentally have the strap anywhere close to snug and then significantly inflate the jacket the tabs can tear. My first failed at about 40 dives and I figured it was a fluke. It was replaced under warranty. It happened again about 160 dives latter. I then installed a fix of my own. For this reason I regretfully cannot endorse the product. I have found it simply to easy for it to self destruct.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom