Are there any dive charters ON Block Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No dive charters on Block Island. You may find fishing charter boats willing to take you but I suspect it would be very expensive. I wonder about shore dive sites as well. I would call the only dive shop on the island:

Island Outfitters & Dive Shop
227 Weldon WY
Block Island, RI 02807
Phone: (401) 466-5502

As an FYI they do air fills (but no Nitrox).

Thanks. That's a great help.

I called Island Outiftters for this same purpose. I am staying on Block Island in Sept. 12-14 and looking to dive from the Island. They referred me to Turtle Charters off of Montauk, who will only pick up from the island for groups of 4-6 or more, due to gas prices.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can dive while I am visiting the island? Anyone interested in chartering a boat?

Maybe there are hundreds of unknown or secret shore dives there.

Island Outfitters does not do air fills any longer. They gave us the name / card of a shop out of Narragansett that does..

You put the tanks on the ferry, the dive shop will pick them up and ship them back to you on the island.. You will need to pay "shipping" for the ferry..

Can't believe a nice little island like that cannot support the dive shop / compressor. Shop said it was NOT worth it... :(

Dive shop moved into town, Old Harbor. Very little selection of dive equipment. Come (go) prepared.

-Dennis

Island Outfitters does not do air fills any longer. They gave us the name / card of a shop out of Narragansett that does..

You put the tanks on the ferry, the dive shop will pick them up and ship them back to you on the island.. You will need to pay "shipping" for the ferry..

Can't believe a nice little island like that cannot support the dive shop / compressor. Shop said it was NOT worth it... :(

Dive shop moved into town, Old Harbor. Very little selection of dive equipment. Come (go) prepared.

-Dennis

Wow that is good to know....I was just charting my route from Salem to Block Island but decided to cancel until I could scare up 4 buddies willing to share the $600+ in fuel.

That is a major pain in the arse we can no longer get fills on the island....how does the ferry shipping thing work? I'm sure the guys picking up the sets of doubles will be carrying them conveniently by the isolator manifold.....no thanks. Looks like any trips going forward will be based on what breathing gas I can carry :shakehead:

Thanks for the info though...I would never have dreamed to call to verify they were still doing air fills.

Not sure about the shipping charges? I believe that is the shop that Thor posted. I gave the card to my buddy, as he is out on Block more frequent than I.

I would say the best bet is to bring your own gas..

I would not trust a set of doubles to the ferry shipping crew... Not saying anything bad, but the manifold "looks" like a REALLY nice handle..

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom