I purchased an Aqualung Diva XLT.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachlawyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
and I am female and have a naturally large chest (for the record, would not have paid money for DDD's) :D Anyway, when I inflate the BC at the surface, I feel my breathing is somewhat constricted....The lycra sports bra design feels too confining, and I can't see around my chest well to see gauges....you can see how this presents safety issues...:dork2:The 30 day guarantee period is over, so I will just keep it until I can sell b/c it's a great b/c, just perhaps not for my body type, and yes it is the correct size according to Aqualung and my LDS and the specs on the website. I am 5'2", 160 lbs, and have almost all my extra weight in my chest and stomach, but even at 110 lbs, I am a DDD. My question is this, I am not a tech diver, but I am interested in some of the bc's that seem to rest mainly on the back and allow more movement. For a purely rec 1 tank diver, are there any b/c's that are designed closer to a backplate and wings, and would give me more freedom in the chest area? And if so, are there similar problems like with BP/W set-ups, like wanting to push you more face forward in the water, etc. Do some rec divers who use only single tanks use BP/W set-ups, or only tech divers? My buoyancy is the main thing I am trying to work on, and any advice on set-ups I may try would be much appreciated. Anyone, wanting to buy a used Aqualung Diva XLT w/ aqua trim in a ML (used 2x in Cozumel and 2x in pool)...PM me....

and I am female and have a naturally large chest (for the record, would not have paid money for DDD's) :D Anyway, when I inflate the BC at the surface, I feel my breathing is somewhat constricted....The lycra sports bra design feels too confining, and I can't see around my chest well to see gauges....you can see how this presents safety issues...:dork2:The 30 day guarantee period is over, so I will just keep it until I can sell b/c it's a great b/c, just perhaps not for my body type, and yes it is the correct size according to Aqualung and my LDS and the specs on the website. I am 5'2", 160 lbs, and have almost all my extra weight in my chest and stomach, but even at 110 lbs, I am a DDD. My question is this, I am not a tech diver, but I am interested in some of the bc's that seem to rest mainly on the back and allow more movement. For a purely rec 1 tank diver, are there any b/c's that are designed closer to a backplate and wings, and would give me more freedom in the chest area? And if so, are there similar problems like with BP/W set-ups, like wanting to push you more face forward in the water, etc. Do some rec divers who use only single tanks use BP/W set-ups, or only tech divers? My buoyancy is the main thing I am trying to work on, and any advice on set-ups I may try would be much appreciated. Anyone, wanting to buy a used Aqualung Diva XLT w/ aqua trim in a ML (used 2x in Cozumel and 2x in pool)...PM me....

My wife has a similar problem, so we got the Mares Kaila, it does not constrict the chest area like the diva. The mares dragon air bag design is pretty well design. We were looking at a couple of back inflate BC, the mares Aliikia, the oceanic Hera, and the scubapro LadyHawk, there is no hugging when inflated. They are closer to a BP/W. But she did not like it as much as the mares when she tried it out. I would go try out the back inflate BC, and the mares kaila. Have them inflate the bc for you see if you can move freely. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Try a BPW, you may find it less restrictive...and it does not push you face forward....

It does help! Thanks for the info!

PS

with the Back Inflate BC, there is some pushing forward, but not as much as a BP/W set up. You may be able to trim out the lean, depending on how much non ditchable weights you are willing to have in the trim pockets and tank.

Have fun diving.

I think you need to read more posts on here regarding BPW setups. The only people who get pushed forward are the ones who do not know what they are doing with the setup. Usually they try to inflate it so that they are halfway out of the water. No BC needs to bring you up that much. All that needs to be above the water is your chin. A BPW properly set up and with correct weighting is the most unencumbered set up there is. There is no constriction of the chest, no ridiculous yards of material wrapped around you, and all the weight is where it should be. Over your lungs. If you are shall we say well endowed there is a natural buoyancy to this being the case. A BPW would most likely offset this perfectly. And when you are on the surface you inflate to where your head is just above the water, lean back and relax. No rolling side to side, just like being on an air mattress. They are also much easier to trim out, more streamlined, and you fit it to you. You don't need to try to fit into what some manufacturer thinks should work based on your measurements. If in fact they even have one that really even fits an individuals measurements. My medium Oceanic probe fits me at 5'7" 158lbs. It also fits my nephew who is 5'11" and 160. Yeah he's a rail. But it really does not fit either of us the way my BPW properly adjusted does. BTW those bc's you mentioned are most likely in the 550-650 dollar range. A BPW can be set up for alot less. And the not pushing forward thing, except in cases where the owner doesn't know what they are doing, goes for all back inflates. The pushing forward thing is a myth perpetuated by the untrained.

Again, Thank you for the useful info....Since I've already spent $450 on the BC that I'm not happy with, I am going to look into both options and see if I can borrow/rent a back-inflate bc and a bp/w before I invest again....Thanks for the info about pushing you face-forward...I would assume that if you are trimmed out and weighted properly, like all other equipment, if it is set up properly, that is probably less of an issue. Thanks again, for the replies.

I think you need to read more posts on here regarding BPW setups. The only people who get pushed forward are the ones who do not know what they are doing with the setup. Usually they try to inflate it so that they are halfway out of the water. No BC needs to bring you up that much. All that needs to be above the water is your chin. A BPW properly set up and with correct weighting is the most unencumbered set up there is. There is no constriction of the chest, no ridiculous yards of material wrapped around you, and all the weight is where it should be. Over your lungs. If you are shall we say well endowed there is a natural buoyancy to this being the case. A BPW would most likely offset this perfectly. And when you are on the surface you inflate to where your head is just above the water, lean back and relax. No rolling side to side, just like being on an air mattress. They are also much easier to trim out, more streamlined, and you fit it to you. You don't need to try to fit into what some manufacturer thinks should work based on your measurements. If in fact they even have one that really even fits an individuals measurements. My medium Oceanic probe fits me at 5'7" 158lbs. It also fits my nephew who is 5'11" and 160. Yeah he's a rail. But it really does not fit either of us the way my BPW properly adjusted does. BTW those bc's you mentioned are most likely in the 550-650 dollar range. A BPW can be set up for alot less. And the not pushing forward thing, except in cases where the owner doesn't know what they are doing, goes for all back inflates. The pushing forward thing is a myth perpetuated by the untrained.

If you are referring to me, I have tried a BP/W and it did tilt me forward. I tend to be a bit top heavy when in the water. And for me ,to not tilt, I end up putting 8lb out of the 10 that I dive with on the tank. It was something I really was not comfortable with, not being able to ditch more weight if I need to. I dive rec and rent al80, which we all know get quite buoyant when low on air further pushing you forward. So it is not that I did not give it a try, it is something I am not comfortable with. Not everyone likes BP/W. If it is right for you, then cool. But it is not right for me, and no matter you may think I did wrong. It will not change the fact that the BP/W does not work for me.

It seems that on the board the BP/W divers are way more vocal and tries to push something that is not for everyone. We are all different, I respect the views of the back inflate and BP/W divers. But some divers are so one sided that they post that the person did not like the BP/W was wrong or they did something incorrect and that is why you had that tilt issue. BP/W is not the setup for me because it does not work for me.

Actually those bc I looked at were in the 300-400 range if you know where to buy them from. I do my research before I buy.

If you are referring to me, I have tried a BP/W and it did tilt me forward. I tend to be a bit top heavy when in the water. And for me ,to not tilt, I end up putting 8lb out of the 10 that I dive with on the tank. It was something I really was not comfortable with, not being able to ditch more weight if I need to. I dive rec and rent al80, which we all know get quite buoyant when low on air further pushing you forward. So it is not that I did not give it a try, it is something I am not comfortable with. Not everyone likes BP/W. If it is right for you, then cool. But it is not right for me, and no matter you may think I did wrong. It will not change the fact that the BP/W does not work for me.

It seems that on the board the BP/W divers are way more vocal and tries to push something that is not for everyone. We are all different, I respect the views of the back inflate and BP/W divers. But some divers are so one sided that they post that the person did not like the BP/W was wrong or they did something incorrect and that is why you had that tilt issue. BP/W is not the setup for me because it does not work for me.

Actually those bc I looked at were in the 300-400 range if you know where to buy them from. I do my research before I buy.

Again, I thank you for the input....Since you are axctly right that certain things don't work for everyone I am going to research and try out a back inflate bc (more likely than the BP/w) before I buy....but again thanks for responding:D

Back
Top Bottom