Water Temperature In Sharm - May 2008?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shelski

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, so many conflicting figures are given for the water temperatures of the Red Sea in May/June... from 22-26 degrees. Has anyone been in the last week or so (or even still there?) to give me the current water temperature? I want to know whether to pack my 3mm or 5mm wetsuit for 1st June. Thanks

1st June? Me too :11:

The waters around Hurghada and Abu Nuhas (just around the corner from Sharm & Ras Mohammed) were already 22 C in March. I'd say 26 degrees looks closer to the mark.

On a liveaboard I'd definitely bring the 5mm. But you'll be doing only two dives a day (and short ones at that, no endless deco stops) so you'll probably be fine whatever you do.

Hang on ... I just remembered that the pertinent data may well be in my laptop. Back in five.

Suunto Dive Manager to the rescue :wink: According to my Gekko the water temperature was around 22-24 degrees in March, with the notable exceptions of Panorama reef (28 C) and Tobia Arba (30 C !). Alle measurements taken at the deepest point of the dive, usually around the 30 meter mark.

I only have numbers for Sharm & environs from the beginning of september 2006: 26-28 C.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. I know I will.

Thanks for that guys. I'm going on a northern route liveboard on 5th June and logged on to ask the exact same question:wink:

Have a great trip, safe diving

Hi,

First week of May:
Tiran- 23 C
Ras Muhammed- 24 C

I would recommend 5mm full suite. I used my hood as well. This year's spring was cooler than usual.

Have a nice time.

Hi Shelski - you know who this is.

Just got back to the UK for about 4 weeks. Last dive on Saturday was 25 deg C. Should be 1 deg warmer when you go out. Good 5mm suit should be fine. I'm using my old 5mm full which is now about 3mm and I am cold but my students are in 5mm shorties. Regards to Col.

We just got back... the water temp varied from 23 to 24 C. The 5mm full suit was perfect... We dove mostly in Dahab but we dove thistlegorm, and shark and yolanda reefs in SSH as well..... temps were pretty consistent but usually about 23.

Only 23-24...?!?!?! GOSH: I was diving El Gouna in February and then it was 22 and I was freezing... was hoping it had warmed considerably by now..

Going back June 2nd and sure hope its warming up the next days....
jeeez 23-24 is cold! Will not even bother to bring my 3mm shorty.... :(

argh..

yesterday in the blue hole it was 22 degC at 14 metres!!

drysuit for me!

Back
Top Bottom