Lobsterman nabbed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just because I now how much the diver vs lobsterman issue riles up our blood, I am posting this article - one the lobstering concerns probably won't bring up in any future debates...

NH lobsterman fined, loses fishing license
Associated Press

BRENTWOOD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire lobsterman who has been found guilty of using other lobstermen's traps has lost his commercial fishing license and has been fined $6,000.

Thirty-nine-year-old Aaron J. Marconi, of Portsmouth, also was given a suspended six-month jail sentence. His license was suspended for three years.

Marconi did not contest the charges, which stem from a year-long investigation into allegations from lobstermen that he had their traps and was using them.

Conservation officers are making arrangements to return the lobster traps to their owners.

I think it's somewhat bizarre to think a fellow lobsterman would be stealing traps from others. It's a rather small community...unless he had a bone to pick, or he was really, really desperate!

X

Things are getting tight for some and they may be acting desperatly. We've had some armed robberies in some very rural towns here in CT lately.

Wow. This is not good. That being said, fishermen are not always PC and a hard day of workin' lean traps and drinkin' in the evening doesn't always lead to cozy feelings.

Never knew that it would get so personal within such a small community of fishermen. Maybe it's time for a new bonanza fishery - hagfish!

X

Wow. This is not good. That being said, fishermen are not always PC and a hard day of workin' lean traps and drinkin' in the evening doesn't always lead to cozy feelings.

Never knew that it would get so personal within such a small community of fishermen. Maybe it's time for a new bonanza fishery - hagfish!

X

I think that in the face of threats from outside of the fishing community there is a certain amount of banding together, but in the absence of this, there's a fair amount of squabbling going on. At least there was. It seems that the industry is becoming more and more scientific these days.

Never knew that it would get so personal within such a small community of fishermen.

Fifteen years or so ago I new a guy on Long Island who started lobstering on his own after working on someone else's boat. He "lost" a bunch of traps the first week, his solution, he spent the day cutting the buoys off everyone else’s pots .... he was never bothered again.

Yup, no territorial in fighting there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom