Lots of questions about my new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

First of all I have a Hammerhead SS Backplate, an Oxycheq Mach V Signature wing, and the Oxycheq Lightweight STA.

Ok... so the inflater tube seems short and the mouthpiece is at a strange angle. The mouthpiece juts out away from the mouth so oral inflation would seem very awkward. I guess this isn't so much a question... more of a statement.

Now for a question... Does anyone know where I can get slightly longer bolts for the backplate/wing/STA? If I use the washer, bolt and wingnut that came with the STA the bolt is probably only going half way into the wing nut... if that. I would rather have something slightly more secure.

The wing has little tabs for using it without a STA. However these tabs seem to get in the way if you use a STA and makes threading the tank straps next to impossible. Is there something that I am missing here?

Any tips on how high, or low I should mount the wing? And any tips for when I climb into the pool next week to avoid ending up face down?

Sorry that these questions are all jumbled... I just got done threading the buckle and my hands are aching.

Thanks!
Sam.

Hi All,

Ok... so the inflater tube seems short and the mouthpiece is at a strange angle. The mouthpiece juts out away from the mouth so oral inflation would seem very awkward. I guess this isn't so much a question... more of a statement..

The inflator tube is not too short. Many BCs come with HUGE tubes that are way too long. Once you try it, diving with a longer hose is very annoying. Many wings have hoses that are are even shorter than the MachV. The mouthpiece angle shouldn't be a problem, the hose is very flexible.

Now for a question... Does anyone know where I can get slightly longer bolts for the backplate/wing/STA? If I use the washer, bolt and wingnut that came with the STA the bolt is probably only going half way into the wing nut... if that. I would rather have something slightly more secure. ..

I have not seen that before. Are you certain that the the wing and plate are all the way flush with the STA? If so, I would image that you could get replacement bolts from Oxycheq, or atleast find out the right size and replace them yourself.

The wing has little tabs for using it without a STA. However these tabs seem to get in the way if you use a STA and makes threading the tank straps next to impossible. Is there something that I am missing here?..

Are you threading the tank straps thorugh the STA or through the BP and wing? There is no reason those tabs should make it hard to thread the tank straps. The tank straps go through the STA, then you bolt the STA through the grommet holes on the wing. Those tabs shouldn't even be a concern when using a STA.

EDIT - if you have the option, some pics of how it is set up might help.

The inflator tube is not too short. Many BCs come with HUGE tubes that are way too long. Once you try it, diving with a longer hose is very annoying. Many wings have hoses that are are even shorter than the MachV. The mouthpiece angle shouldn't be a problem, the hose is very flexible.
Alright, I will give it a shot. I wonder why the angle though.... very odd.

I have not seen that before. Are you certain that the the wing and plate are all the way flush with the STA? If so, I would image that you could get replacement bolts from Oxycheq, or atleast find out the right size and replace them yourself.
Yep, they are definitely flush. I assume it is because the Hammerhead is a thicker plate than the oxycheq? This is just a guess though. I might take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and look for some SS bolts. Would this be ok or does it need to be a special grade SS?

Are you threading the tank straps thorugh the STA or through the BP and wing? There is no reason those tabs should make it hard to thread the tank straps. The tank straps go through the STA, then you bolt the STA through the grommet holes on the wing. Those tabs shouldn't even be a concern when using a STA.

EDIT - if you have the option, some pics of how it is set up might help.

I am threading the straps through the STA. I finally managed to get them through, it was a horrible pain though! It might have been easier to do before bolting down the STA.

I will fire up my camera and take some pictures. It might be a while :) Need to find it.

Thanks for the input.

Yep, they are definitely flush. I assume it is because the Hammerhead is a thicker plate than the oxycheq? This is just a guess though. I might take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and look for some SS bolts. Would this be ok or does it need to be a special grade SS? .

That could be because of the thickness of the plate I suppose. I am not sure about the type of bolts, hopefully someone will be able to answer that one.

I am threading the straps through the STA. I finally managed to get them through, it was a horrible pain though! It might have been easier to do before bolting down the STA. .

Ah, that explains it :) It is much easier to thread those before it is mounted to the wing. Atleast now that it is done you don't have to do it again.

After a little research it looks like I need a 3/8" or 5/16" stainless steel carriage bolt (smooth top, with a square section between it an the threaded rod). I will probably pick up a lock washer too just for good measure :) After I get that I just have to make final adjustments, cut the webbing and fashion a crotch strap. I should be good to go.

After a little research it looks like I need a 3/8" or 5/16" stainless steel carriage bolt (smooth top, with a square section between it an the threaded rod). I will probably pick up a lock washer too just for good measure :) After I get that I just have to make final adjustments, cut the webbing and fashion a crotch strap. I should be good to go.

Sounds about right, don't forget to check the size of the hole in the BP. Once you decide what size bolts you are going to use (FWIW, the STA's I have use 5/16ths) you might want to look at these:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=51
Only $5 a pair, they don't need a washer, and they work better for me than the wingnut. Might be worth thinking about.

Thanks Jason! I ordered a pair of those. They look really nice. I went to the hardware store this morning and picked up a couple of 5/16"-18 x 1" Carriage Bolts and bingo! worked like a charm. I am really looking forward to trying this at the pool next week (I have never used a back inflated BC before)

I am sure this stainless is pretty low quality so eventually I may spring for some 316 SS bolts from mcmaster-carr. We shall see. These are fine for now.

When not using an STA with my Mach V, I bought some SS bolts from Lowes to hold my BP to my wing while changing tanks. I mostly did an eye comparison, and found out what I needed. When I added an STA a few weeks later, it didn't even matter!

Glad to hear it worked out. I took a hard look at a Hammerhead SS plate, but ended up going with something else. I wish I would have done that now!

Alright, I will give it a shot. I wonder why the angle though.... very odd.

What do you mean by odd angle?
When wearing the rig, does the mouth piece point right, towards your chest, away form your chest or left?
Although unlikely, if the inflator was installed catawompus, it is a simple matter to adjust.
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom