Savannah River 5/18 and upcoming dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, several folks have called and inquired - did y'all dive the river Sunday. I replied yes and that I posted it in the 5/17dive posting. They missed it so I'm reposting it.
We had a great dive today in the Savannah River . Vis was great 10 -15'+, water temp was 68 degrees and max depth was 21'. We did the big drift. Entry was a 5th street bridge. We dove on the wreck at the downriver side of the first bridge support in the water (from the Georgia side). Several nice bass and sunfish. From there we angled over towards the S.C. side of the river to the remains of the old Hamburg docks (this run the better part of a mile about 1/3 of the way out into the river from the S.C. shore). More fish. A large carp was "hidden" under a log - at least I guess he thought he was though most of his body was hanging out. More bass and then we were under the US 1 Bridge. We dove around the bridge supports and then continued downriver on the old Hamburg docks remains. Lots of sunlight this afternoon and at times vis was beter than 15'. We then angled back to the GA shoreline. I timed/angled our swim cross river just right and we hit the 2nd wreck of the dive - a cabin cruiser. After diving in and around, we continued downstream and dove through the Savannah river kelp forest- an invasive aquatic weed whose name I can't recall at the moment (starts with an E). The GA side has large boulders and rocks at the shoreline down to 18'. We saw several more carp, bass, and assorted sunfish during the drift. There are also trees that have fallen into the river and you can swim among the branching limbs. Just after reaching the remains of the old Hamburg bridge we came across a large turtle and watched it a bit, then we moved to mid-river at bit and then angled back to the old Hamburg dock remains for more fish life. After a bit more time here we angled back to the Ga side of our exit at the boat ramp. A nice day of diving. Dive time was 1:42.

Dive plans this weekend - two dives - Sat. 9a and 11a the lake SC side of the dam. Very good vis at depth last weekend. Sunday, a bit of a question mark right now, some are talking river, others the lake. Will post after Sat. dive. Maybe Monday dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom