Blueprints to Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quest

Reaction score
I havent dove the spiegel grove yet. But, i have been searching the web endlessly to find some blueprints or drawings of it to familiarize myself with the basics of the wreck and do some predive planning.

Anyone have any such info?

You aren't going to find what you want. There are plenty of pre-sinking pictures, that's the best you going to do on the web.

WW

I seem to remember seeing a dive planner somewhere with the planned entry points layed out and basic deck layouts.

spieglegrove.org or something, I'll have a look and see what I can find

canuckdiver once bubbled...
I seem to remember seeing a dive planner somewhere with the planned entry points layed out and basic deck layouts.

spieglegrove.org or something, I'll have a look and see what I can find

That stuff will have been pulled because it was the way it was "supposed to end up". The cutting and such didn't get finished so even if still there, its not accurate.

WW

The last time I was down in Key Largo (Nov, 2002), I dove the spiegel grove with the Scuba-Do dive boat. The captain (Tony) mentioned he had been taking a bunch of wreck divers out to the grove who were in the process of documenting the layout of the wreck.

Tony didn't mention who was doing this but perhaps a call down there could point you in the right direction.

The website for the Scuba-do is www.scuba-do.com

Hope this helps.

Mh1143

It's not recommended to penetrate the wreck unless trained to do so.. preferably cave training...

It's only a matter of time before some OW diver dies on that wreck.

DSAO!!

I've dove the Grove with Tony and Laurie about a dozen times since it's first gone down. The thing is almost all of the charters in the area will not let you do any kind of penetration. Even though all of the group I dive with are Dive Professionals read :all of us have over head environement,extended range,Tri-mix ect) it took us a long time to build a relationship/trust with these Captains to let us do 2 conceutive dives at this site and most don't want the liability. So unless you're going on a private charter or boat its going to be hard to get anyone to let yaw do heavy penatration.The only one that I know of who has a full deck layout is Capt. Slate and its unlikely he will let anyone have access. I know you didn't specifically talk about penetration in the originally post it still needs to be said that this wreck is not a walk in the park as some would have you think. Because of its placement there can be some wicked bad currents and far too many people who are not qualified to be on this wreck.But It is a great dive and you probably wont be able to really see the whole thing on one or two dives.

Good luck

WYDT once bubbled...
It's only a matter of time before some OW diver dies on that wreck.

DSAO!!

A short time would be my guess.

WW

Faust once bubbled...
The thing is almost all of the charters in the area will not let you do any kind of penetration. it took us a long time to build a relationship/trust with these Captains to let us do 2 conceutive dives at this site and most don't want the liability. So unless you're going on a private charter or boat its going to be hard to get anyone to let yaw do heavy penatration.

Good luck

Haven't done any dives on the Spiegel yet. So i dont expect to do any penetration anytime soon. Besides there is so much to see without penetrating on the first dozen or so dives.

But, i am looking to get at least the first layer of as-builts or a simple drawing of what the wreck currently looks like, where entrances are etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom