• Use Nexus

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Go Vytec

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Stay away from both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue One

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a second computer now I have discovered the realm of nitrox and decompression air diving to push the wrecks and depth towards 55m. (my first is a simple Air only Aladin Pro)

Based on my own research, instructor recommendation and really what I want to do (ie. not planning on trimix yet - but never say never !!) I have narrowed the field down to the Nexus and the Vytec.

My main requirement is to be able switch underwater to deco gas with range up to 100% O2 (many only allow 50)

Nexus has great pedigree but might be a bit out dated ?
Vytec (despite the recall) has a great functionality but is Suunto just a deco pretender ?

Thoughts and experiences ?

To tell you the truth - I am leaning to the Vytec but the conservatism concerns me but I don't know how it performs agains the V-planner software I use for my plans? Does anyone know this ?

Out of the two you consider I'd go with the Vytec. The Nexus is way too liberate for my taste. A bunch of computers were tested in a German dive mag, and the Nexus ended up 'barely safe' in OC. As a backup on a CCR, okay, by I rather not dive it OC.

Dive Rite has a two-mix (watch size) and a three mix computer. Basic, but good.

But I'd go with a VR3 Nitrox, or the HS Explorer Nitrox. Multiple mixes, later upgratebility to Trimix and/or CC if you ever need it, and they work with their respective PC softwares. Most likely the better deal in the end, even if they might cost more up front.

The RGBM program dosn't conform to the standard 30-20-10 stop depths, so it can be difficult to match your profile on your slate with the computer. The computer will tell you to do a stop at 23 ft when your profile calls for you to be at the 20ft level. of course if you go above the stop, BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Just a hastle in the end.
It's cool if you are just diving off the computer but we all know this is not a good practice. I threw the thing in my recreational gear bag and threw another bottom timer in my tec bag.

plan your dive dive your plan!!

You can download the Vytec simulator software from Suunto's website and see how it handles deco. In a word, it *doesn't*.

And, if you're truly into deep and deco diving (decompression air diving???), and using V-Planner, you need a bottom timer, not a rec computer. Just because you can change gases with it doesn't make it useful.

MD

Why some people say it's okay to use your PC with dive planning software to calculate your tables, but refuse to dive with a computer which calculates based on the same software models is beyond me. :confused:

If you cut your tables with Proplanner and use a VR3, or use Abyss' Advanced Dive Planning Software, you might as well use their respective dive computers while you're underwater. They are pretty much little PCs on your wrist that recalculate the planned dive while your doing it. Any unexpected changes are integrated into the up-to-moment dive profile. No matter how many tables you cut, for how many contingencies, that can't be beat.

Having said that, no one should ever approach this kind of diving without proper knowledge and training, including a thorough understanding of decompression and generating as well as use of tables. Anyone should have appropriate back-up, which includes tables and gauges (or bottom timer). A dive computer is a tool, as anything else you're using UW. So if it's a good computer, it's a good tool. Why not use it? :upset:

And please don't say it might break, run out of power or anything like that.
Bottom timers don't run on love alone, either.

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Why some people say it's okay to use your PC with dive planning software to calculate your tables, but refuse to dive with a computer which calculates based on the same software models is beyond me. :confused:

If you cut your tables with Proplanner and use a VR3, or use Abyss' Advanced Dive Planning Software, you might as well use their respective dive computers while you're underwater. They are pretty much little PCs on your wrist that recalculate the planned dive while your doing it. Any unexpected changes are integrated into the up-to-moment dive profile. No matter how many tables you cut, for how many contingencies, that can't be beat.

We weren't discussing the VR3 or Explorer, the poster asked about 2 specific computers that do NOT have the ability to preprogram profiles. And, if your comments were directed to my post, I have absolutely nothing against computers. If they are suited to the task at hand, and if they give *added value* to that task. If they don't, they are a waste of money and time.

Also, the ability of a computer to recompute your dive and deco profile on the fly is not much use if you run out of gas during the revised profile.

MD

thanks for clearing that up. I agree with you, for the same reasons I recommended either of those computers over BB1's choice.

Right about the gas management, too. That'd be part of the dive planing
I mentioned.

Not as much an issue with a CCR. :D

You are beyond the realm of the Vytec or Nexus abilities......

If you just think about tri-mix then I bet you do it-inevitable.

I would hold off on the computer and get one that does it all.

Back
Top Bottom