Sarangani (gen san) may '08 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Stan

Registered
Reaction score
Was able to get some dive time in Sarangani With the Cambridge team. With the recent passage of two storms, there is still some particulate matter suspended in the waters so viz will depend on whether the tides are moving water in or out of the bay. The diving consisted of shore entries at maharlika (for macro) and the Heitz Hilton (aka Rocky beach), boat dives at tabu and sandbar, and some offshore reef diving at maasin, chapter and malbar. The boat is typical for the fishing vessels in the area but has added a boarding ladder for diver ingress/egress. GPS was very helpful to get to some of the sites. After having some problems with spear fishers who targeted the sharks at maasin, i am happy to report that there is at least one shark that we were able to see after several months absence. The Cambridge team continues to do exploratory dives for new sites or specific sightings, and the reef dome project enjoys continued success and is nearing complete deployment. Nitrox will become available soon.
2521025868_a8c6cd53eb_o.jpg

A football sized angler (maharlika)

2521025374_1633b6e44c_o.jpg

not a good shot but am just happy to see him

2521025182_b6f4b54f4e_o.jpg

A big turtle with John Fish

2521024940_11a13ba4b3_o.jpg

some WA at the Heitz Hilton

Great Shots, and yes the 'Heitz Hilton', will be putting in my advanced bookings soon.

Nice pictures Stan! I like the angler shot from mahalika, I bet you were still on the hunt for the lacy scorpionfish? Good to see the turtle hanging out by Johns place and the maasin sharks are still around.

Nice pictures Stan! I like the angler shot from mahalika, I bet you were still on the hunt for the lacy scorpionfish? Good to see the turtle hanging out by Johns place and the maasin sharks are still around.

Thanks Dustin. You should check with John about your sked, coz i know he is gearing up for your visit. I think he even has a surprise for you (something about cowboys).:wink:

WA
2524304246_516ac8c664_o.jpg

Macro
2520206861_86bc10e0a7_o.jpg

And to cap it all, a visit to the fishport
2523479833_9bdd1db68c_o.jpg

I would love to find that nudi, looks like a Nembrotha lineolata, but unusual dark circles around the rhinopores (looks like raccoon eyes) and the lines extend much closer to the gills compared to normal. Not to mention the pig snout on the front...hmmm...looks like another shot from maharlika?

I'll drop John a line soon, maybe he plans on reactivating Let-it-Rip dive tours....I'll be there.

Aha!...I see it now in the books, listed as Jorunna rubescens in Nudibranchs Encyclopedia and Nudibranchs of the World, formerly listed as Kentrodoris rubescens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom