Bahamas Out Islands or FL Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to decide where to go for 5 nts/4 days in June or July. Since it's a short trip, we don't want to spend alot of time getting there. I dove in New Providence and didn't think it was too great, but I've heard the Out Islands are better. If you've been to both the Keys and the Out Islands, which was better diving?

I was looking at Tavernier or Key Largo for the Keys, and Cat Island or Abaco for Bahamas.

Also open to any other suggestions for a short trip from NYC.

Thanks!

Look at Andros for some awesome diving.

Small Hope Bay Lodge is good for laid back living. There are a few other more "modern" places on the island too.

East side of Andros has the third largest barrier reef in the world!

As a rule in the Bahamas the harder it is to get to, the better the diving. Cay Sal Bank rules, but with NO accomodations or habitable islands you are limited to live aboard diving.:D

FT

We were on some awesome walls just off of San Salvador, Rum Cay and Concepcion Island while on a live-aboard in November. I likened them to those of Lighthouse Reef in Belize. Fla Keys can't begin to compare!

As has already been mentioned, Andros, San Salvador, and Cay Sal Banks are great dive sites.

The Abacos are also excellent, as are the Exumas.

With the Abacos, you get some neat pinnacles; the Exumas boasts excellent wall dives.

Liveaboards are a great way to go, esp when talking about the Exumas or the Banks.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~
Who lived aboard a sailboat for 2 years in the Bahamas, running a sail/dive charter

Family islands is what the folks that live there call them. I'll give another recommendation for Andros.

WW

We spent the past July 4 at San Salvador.
Diving was excellent, staff and resort top notch. Small island, not much to do but eat, sleep, and dive. Keys are good but not what they were 30 yrs. ago, with the exception of some great wrecks! Anyway, here's the addy. for RR Inn www.ridingrock.com Enjoy yourself wherever you end up.

I have dove New Providence and the Keys. They are only average. For the same flight time you could be in the Turks & Caicos. The diving is phenomenal. USAir flies direct every day out of Charlotte. I was just there and saw whales, dolphins, sharks, rays, turtles, etc. More variety, great walls, healthier reefs. I would rate the Keys and New Providence as a 5. I would rate Turks as an 8 or 9. Check it out for yourself. http://caicosadventures.com/ You will not be sorry.

Thanks for the replies. Riding Rock looks great and so does Small Hope.

One of our favorite places is Cayman Diving Lodge so Riding Rock's set up is very appealing since it looks quite similar. We really don't care about activities or nightlife. We like to have great diving, good food, good people and relaxation.

If anyone has links to uw photos from either San Salvador or Andros diving, could you post them?

Sandrah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom