Lake Jocassee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captndan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dad and I are wanting to dive Jocassee sometime in the next week and I was wondering if anyone has been out there recently and could tell me what the conditions were like. Also, it seems like the website for one of the shops is down and I havent been able to get scheduling info for a charter. Can anyone tell me who they use and when they run charters? We tried to go last year but I seem to remember them only running certain days so it didnt work out.

I made 3 dives from the diver's ramp on Sunday, May 25. The water level is down about 26 feet. The first training platform (damaged by recent storms) is now at a depth of about 8 feet (this time last year, it was at a depth of about 30 feet). The second platform is at a depth of about 24 feet. There is a "new" sunken boat just past the second platform (and slightly to the southeast of it). Viz was about 15 feet. According to my primary dive computer, the surface temperature of the water was 71 degrees, and the temp at 40 feet was 64 degrees. However, my back-up computer registered all temps 2 - 3 degrees lower than that.

As for a charter, Bill's Routh's "Off The Wall Dive Charters" operates every week-end. Also, Bill told me that his dive shop ($6 air fills, and he also rents tanks and gear) will be open each Saturday and Sunday for the remainder of the diving season. You'll pass his shop on the way to the lake after turning off Hwy. 11, it's just past the cell-phone tower. The website is located here:

OFF THE WALL DIVE CHARTERS (864)944-DIVE

An alternate to Bill's is:

Scuba Shop Spartanburg SC      

Mike runs a first class operation.

I've used both charters. Just depends on who's running and where they are running to.

Is the divers ramp all the way out of the water now? Makes for a hard entry.

Here's a post I updated on 5/18/07 that you might be be interested in. Water temps at surface may a few degrees warmer than I noted 2 weeks ago - but I doubt much more.

One more Operator option if you are interested! Bermuda Triangle always has a boat out on Sunday, and guided dives and Advanced Classes available all other days.

Bermuda Triangle, Greenville, SC - Let's Go Diving!

Also - Lake levels can be checked here:

Check Lake Levels - Duke Energy

View Single Post
post_old.gif
May 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM #5 dcs917

Status
stars-3-0.gif

Profile InfoJoin Date: Sep 2006
Logged Dives: 200 - 499

StatsPosts: 117 Photos: (52) View Gallery

Quick update for anyone interested.

Surface temps are in the upper 60's, thermocline at about 20', and temps below in the low to mid 50's. Dove this past weekend with a class of Advanced deep students to a max depth of 105' with my Bare Arctic 7mm, and 3mm hooded vest and was toasty warm. Hoods are a must, and gloves highly recommended if you plan to spend any time below 60'. Dove off the North side of the Ramp near the Bones Family, and past the cattle gate to the "Haunted Forest". Vis was OK, but deteriorated quickly due to the large number of students at the Ramp over the weekend.

Dive Safe.

Caribbean Blue Diving Services

user_online.gif

thanks for all the info. we will be diving friday with off the wall. ill let you guys know how it goes.

Well we made our dive yesterday. We scheduled to dive the wall and the junk on Jocassee with Off the Wall. When we got there, we struggled to find a wetsuit to fit my dad because in the midst of Bill's move to the new dive shop, his hired help misplaced all of his gear. He was plenty accommodating though, taking us to the hot hole at lake Keowee and didnt even need a suit. We were the only two divers on the boat and Bill was finishing up a Nitrox class with one of his students on the boat. Water was warm, 78 at the surface and lots of vertical thermoclines due to the expulsion of the warm current from the power plant. Viz was about 10-12 feet. Didnt see a ton of fish other than some brim, catfish and large mouth bass. We did see a few decently sized turtles as well. Fun dive overall and very pleased with Bill's service.

It's always fun to go out with Bill. I haven't been down in a few years. Is his new dive shop close to his house? I plan on making the trip in a few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom