May be a convert to BP/W soon need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
After my recent trip to little cayman lugging my Ranger LTD around "taking up half my suitcase. I decided maybe it was time to look at a BP/W. I dive mainly warm water anymore, but do occasionally dive in local quarries with a 7mm suit. I have a DUI drysuit just haven't dove in it yet. On this trip I just returned from I was diving with no wetsuit and the ranger LTD and I was using 14 pounds of weight. After doing some looking the BP/W that have caught my eye are either the Dive Rite Transplate Harness which looks like its adjustable and not just the Hog harness set up. Second one I liked was the Halycon Eclipse. Just not sure whether I would want the 30 or 40 pound wing. And then I liked the OMS comfort harness. Anyone have any advice to steer me either way? Any help would be appreciated Especially in the Wing size. Normally on warm weather trips its just aluminum 80's but locally in the quarries I use a HP 119 steel tank.
Thanks
David

I would favor the Halcyon over the Dive Rite...

The simple (Hog) harness will save you some suitcase room as far as bulk.... You will have to adjust a little going from a drysuit/cold water to a think wetsuit/warm water... The straps are easy to adjust... just pinch and then move the keepers.... to make things easier you can put some reference marks on the webbing but I think after you figure it out you won't need them....

also there is a choice between aluminum and steel plates... with baggage allowances you might want to add that into the equation.

Also check out Deep Sea Supply.... Tobin is a regular here and is more than happy to chat with you on the phone to help you make an educated purchase

I would favor the Halcyon over the Dive Rite...

The simple (Hog) harness will save you some suitcase room as far as bulk...

I agree with you given the two specific choices that the OP laid out, but as far as brands go, you can of course do a Hog harness on any manufacturer's standard plate.

I dive mainly warm water anymore, but do occasionally dive in local quarries with a 7mm suit. I have a DUI drysuit ... I was diving with no wetsuit and the ranger LTD and I was using 14 pounds of weight. ... the BP/W that have caught my eye are either the Dive Rite Transplate Harness which looks like its adjustable and not just the Hog harness set up. Second one I liked was the Halycon Eclipse. And then I liked the OMS comfort harness. ... Normally on warm weather trips its just aluminum 80's but locally in the quarries I use a HP 119 steel tank.
Sounds like a steel backplate and a 30lb wing should work. The Transplate harness is nice, as is the OMS Comfort Harness, but neither is completely adjustable, particularly with regard to chest D-ring position, and most people find the padding is unnecessary. Still, I like having at least one shoulder quick release when diving my drysuit, and I find the OMS Deluxe Harness (without pads on the shoulders) is a bit more adjustable. A single piece harness, whether a brand name (Halcyon) or a simple piece of webbing, is hard to beat for adjustability.

I agree with you given the two specific choices that the OP laid out, but as far as brands go, you can of course do a Hog harness on any manufacturer's standard plate.

yup, you are absolutely right... Any manuf standard plate will do...

When I first got into a BP+Wing system, I went for a DiveRite TransPlate system. But ultimated, I replace it with a standard hog harness. Back then, I just wished I didn't have to spend the extra for the TransPlate and simply start with the hog harness since the beginning.

Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom