Quick Disconnect - Good or bad?

Quick Disconnect - good or bad?

• Good - makes life more convenient

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No - more hassle than its worth

Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SA Boy

Reaction score
I have a Suunto Cobra. Is quick disconnect a good or bad idea for the Cobra or any other air integrated computer using a hose?

I've heard people say it makes it easier to have your dive computer stolen or leave it at home plugged into your PC.

For this poll to provide you with any answer that you find meaningful, you're probably going to have clarify the options a bit.

I wear my computer on my wrist...it doesn't have a quick disconnect per se, but I suppose it suffers from the potential downsides that you mentioned in your original post.

What kind of quick dis-connects are you specifically referring to. Sorry if I am being obtuse about this.

KKM

After I started gearing up at the dive site only to discover that I’d left my Cobra at home attached to the PC, I decided the QD was more trouble than it’s worth. Anyone looking to buy a slightly used Suunto QD PM me. Fortunately, I had a SPG attached to the pony and my trusty Casio watch (Bottom Timer). Nevertheless, it was still a PTA since I had to use my computer rotted brain and a dive table to calculate the NDL.

Mike

Uwatek Air console, I liked it. Never had any problems with it, never got stolen, never forgot it anywhere ... :)

Makes it easy to clean afterwards, easier to pack for transport. I like wrist-mounted computers better, and they are as easy to steal or forget as a QD mounted one. So that's not much of an argument against it.

How much harder is it to just give your entire regulator that special care the QD was going to let you give you BOB (battery operated brain)? I had one on my wife's rig but I don't think we ever used it.

purely for gadget crazed people. uwatec has had a lot of leak problems with them. It's not that hard to take your whole reg with you and if you really don't want to, do what I do and save yourself some cash... a few turns of the wrench and its off. Not lightning fast, but I can get mine off in about 5 seconds. I take mine off like that A LOT because I'm constantly testing interfaces. Useless in my opinion unless you're a thief and spot one.

Back
Top Bottom