BCD for large divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pardsie

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent BC for overweight people. Chest size 52" waist size 50"... 6'2" tall. I cannot figure out the proper sizing. Recently new to diving. Took the classroom and passed written test. Pool dive scheduled for next week. I'm wondering if most dive sites and or resorts have BCDs which would fit large men. I do not have a preference as to manufacturer. As usual most every sport you get in to thinks most individuals are 6' and weigh 180. Not. I'm sure my instructor will be able to answer but I forgot to ask and probably should have asked prior to starting.

TIA

I recently bought a second hand Sherwood BCD (medium) and was really surprised at how much bigger it was than my existing Dacor BCD (also a medium). I suspect there is a huge discrepancy between sizes by different manufacturers.

I am a pretty big guy and I switched from a back inflate to a backplate and wings. Totally adjustable and can always be resized if needed. More comfortable to dive in, less constricting around the chest.

Gil

I'm a pretty big guy too and went through this when I purchased my BCD.

I ended up purchasing a Zeagle Tech because it is modular and I could swap out the parts to make a BC that fits really well. My Tech has a XL sholder and large waist.

Another good BC I found that could easily be adjusted to fit was the Seasoft Pro. Its a bit on the spendy side but it has a patented sizing adjustment that will fit anyone.

I have 56" chest & used a Cressi sub BCD and was comfortable with it, until I did some tech diving. Now I only use an OMS harness & wings. Even for rec diving. Like everybody else syas you can make it fit to yourself like a glove

I'm a big guy as well (42" waist 50" chest) and I started out with an IDI Advantage which I liked but switched to a BP/W last year and wouldn't be going back. If you're game, give it a shot.

Allen

Thank you all so much. Excellent info and suggestions. I am obviously going to look into and research backplate and wing setup. Hopefully before I take he big plunge I will visit some resorts which carry some of the larger type setups whatever those may be.

I'd assume you'd have a LOT more issues with the wetsuit than with the BCD. Did you have to get a custom-sized wetsuit? I'd expect an XL or XXL BCD should fit you fine.. just walk into any store and try some on. Most rental places will have those available.

No vacation rental place that I'm aware of will rent a BP/W. Maybe a tech diving store will. But personally I wouldn't suggest you learn how to dive in a BP/W. (Using those requires you adjust all the sizing correctly, and add trim weights appropriately. They're excellent for when you know how to dive, but only if your instructor uses one and knows how to adjust it for you....). Learn to dive with standard gear you can rent anywhere. Then you can worry about changing stuff to make your dives better....

Basically, there are two big measurements that will matter: length from shoulder to hip, and waist size. Your weight is completely irrelevant. Thankfully, most BCDs are highly adjustable, which is why I suspect the XL or XXL would fit.

Just remember if you're wearing a thick wetsuit, your waist/chest is gonna be even bigger...

Back
Top Bottom