Diving the Oxycheq Ultra Lite Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN Traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have now got 2 days of diving in with my Oxycheq Ultra Lite Back Plate and figured I would post my impressions. In a previous post I described how easy it was to set up the plate and speed harness. Now comes the real test.

Day 1

I figured that I would need a couple of extra pounds since I was going from an AL plate to the Ultra Lite – WRONG!!! During both dives I was feeling overweight and was slightly head down.

First dive, I positioned the tank where the top curve started at the inside edge of the Mach V on dive 1. This resulted in my reg hitting my head when I looked upward. Underwater it felt like the tank was shifting slightly from side to side. I undid the buckle and pulled it tighter, which snugged up the shoulder straps and solved that problem. My crotch strap was a little loose and the rig wanted to ride upward a little on the first dive.

Second dive, I shortened the crotch strap and moved the tank about an inch lower. Reg still hitting the back of my head, but better than the previous dive. Rig did not ride up and felt much more secure.

Day 2

I moved the tank down so that the top camband was just at the edge of the tank shoulder and took 2 pounds out of my trim pockets. That solved all the problems – trimmed out with no problem. Reg no longer touched my head. I was considering moving the Mach V on the plate using another set of holes, but I don’t see that being necessary.

All the dives were done on Looe Key in the Florida Keys, in 27 ft of water, max. Lots of surge and lots of time spent in the 10-15 feet. Had no problems controlling my depth using my breathe and probably touched the inflator twice during the dives, except at the end, when surfacing and waiting on my turn at the ladder.

Overall impression, this is a great addition – saved 4-5 pounds in the travel bag and it dives great. The weight savings were partially used carrying my new Oxycheq 3w LED – which was great for looking under all those ledges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom