Color correction for Compumask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leopardfish

Reaction score
I am an avid Florida spearfisher, and have used a variety of color correcting lense masks over the years. I now have the Compumask and, despite the minor loss of the lower visual field in my right eye, I love it. My problem is that I am no longer able to use color corrective lenses, as it is not an available option for the Compumask. Most of the locations I hunt are between 80-150' and color can be critical in Federal waters where a Snowy Grouper and a Yellow can appear very similar given the spot patterns. The difference can mean a senseless kill at least, a very large fine at the most. I'm sure I don't need to explain the muriad of situations where color can be critical. I have contacted the Aeris approved prescription lens manufacturers, both of which cannot provide a solution, as they can only produce clear adhered prescription panels. Will this be an option in the future and do you have any suggestions that may assist me presently? I have looked around for an adherable gel/film that I can cut to fit but, as yet, have been unsuccessful. Does a product such as this exist?
Thanks.

I am an avid Florida spearfisher, and have used a variety of color correcting lense masks over the years. I now have the Compumask and, despite the minor loss of the lower visual field in my right eye, I love it. My problem is that I am no longer able to use color corrective lenses, as it is not an available option for the Compumask. Most of the locations I hunt are between 80-150' and color can be critical in Federal waters where a Snowy Grouper and a Yellow can appear very similar given the spot patterns. The difference can mean a senseless kill at least, a very large fine at the most. I'm sure I don't need to explain the muriad of situations where color can be critical. I have contacted the Aeris approved prescription lens manufacturers, both of which cannot provide a solution, as they can only produce clear adhered prescription panels. Will this be an option in the future and do you have any suggestions that may assist me presently? I have looked around for an adherable gel/film that I can cut to fit but, as yet, have been unsuccessful. Does a product such as this exist?
Thanks.

Do you find a loss of lateral visibility with the mask and can you see all of the rows of info on the display without tilting your head.

SteveAd, Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for responding so late. I do attach a Princeton Tec to my gun, but at those depths it really needs to be used in conjunction with the lenses, as even the beam can't recreate missing wave lengths. I've even tried tri-color LED lamps that claim to replace the spectrum, but it turned out to be more of a gimmick than reality. I'm guessing I'm S.O.L., but hey, color or not, a day under is better than above, Good Divin'.

Sorry to get back to you so late, been diving around and haven't gotten back to my computer for a while. Right side lower lateral is a little narrow, but it's a trade off for the beauty of hands free info. No need to tilt your head, you'd look like a dog chasing your tail. The info screen is affixed in the lower right eye and is completely and easily readable with a quick glance. Press the top button once and your on to the next screen, there are 5 screens available at all times with every bit of info at your disposal, after 15 seconds, if you don't press the button, it automatically displays the main gauge console screen with loading bar graph and all the bells and whistles (literally). Definately sport diving at it's very laziest and most streamlined. No gauge console, no computer and since it's air integrated, no hose. In short, I don't mind the trade off too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom