OMS 45# Wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MK27DIVER

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 45# OMS wing for single tank diving in the fridgid northeast waters. What is the main differences between the Larry Green Signature series and the regular single bladder 45# wing with/without bungees? I could find much info on the differences.

Thanks

I realize that this is somewhat off topic for your question but 45 lbs is kind of big for a single tank. I assume that by mentioning cold water diving, you are referring to the extra weight needed to off set thermals or a 7mm suit as well as a steel tank. Keep in mind that the wing really only needs to be able to float your rig at the surface without you in it and off set a total loss of bouyancy at max depth (for a 7mm suit that's around 100 ft.). In most cases, 30# is more than adequate but your mileage may vary.

Do a quick search on "Cool Hardware". Tobin from DSS has numerous posts on how to calculate your lift requirements.

DSS, Halcyon and Oxycheq (in that order) all make excellent singles wings in smaller sizes. Most likely, you will find the DSS to be the cheapest. It is also the best design, by far. I have a 40# DSS LCD wing and wish I bought the 30#.

I do PSD diving as well so we are slightly overweighted to keep us sticking to the bottom to search. And in the event of a recovery My gear may be needed to bring me overweighted and a body along with me.

I've used a 40# wing with double 95s and a heavy undergarment (i.e. lots of weight to sink it). For recreational diving, I can't imagine a 45# singles wing is needed. For PSD work, ask your buddies. Using the wing lift, however, to raise heavy objects strikes me as unsafe, but perhaps that's just part of the job.

Wouldn't the bungee version of the 45# be a fair compromise for singles and still have the capacity to dive doubles?
I've been diving a Sherwood Tortuga (hybrid back inflator) w/ 45# of lift and find it easily managed and quite comfortable but I happen to have a OMS BP/wing with the 45# bungee wing on it's way to me.

Wouldn't the bungee version of the 45# be a fair compromise for singles and still have the capacity to dive doubles?
I've been diving a Sherwood Tortuga (hybrid back inflator) w/ 45# of lift and find it easily managed and quite comfortable but I happen to have a OMS BP/wing with the 45# bungee wing on it's way to me.

"Dual" wings suck as singles wings and often make less than stellar doubles wings.

The wing I'm getting is not a "Dual" bladder design it is a single 45# with bungees. Item BC117-k45
From what I've seen in the OMS catalog "Dual" wings have 2 inflators.
To my thinking the bungees keep the profile compact, keep the air from shifting drastically and help the wing inflate/deflate more uniformly. Granted I've yet to dive this rig and am looking for opinions from people with experience with similar wing designs.

Sorry, I was addressing the comment about dual purpose (not dual bladder) wings (e.g. what Dive Rite makes). For a recreational singles wing, you can do MUCH better than the OMS. For your PSD needs, I have no idea. Why not asked your PSD buddies?

Back
Top Bottom