routine speargun maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrofunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

I'm totally new to spearguns and I'm interested in learning. I found a JBL Explorer 20 while ab diving recently, and now I'd like to clean up and try it out.

My question is: what kind of maintenance do you commonly perform on your spearguns? This gun has been underwater for a little while, and the bands and the shockline clearly need replacing. I figure I'll also take the grip and the trigger and the barrel apart and clean up any corrosion I find. What lubricant should I use (if any) when reassembling?

Thanks a lot for any tips you can give me!

Best,
Steve

I have an Explorer 22 that is on its 2nd year. Basically all I do is rinse really good. When done for the winter slow down I use a little vegi oil on the moving parts. I keep the gun in the dark till ready to use to protect the rubber from breaking down. I think these little Explorer series from JBL suffer from being down played to the bigger and more expensive guns. But they really work well for what they can do.

When you disassemble that trigger look very closely for any pitting on the sear (locking mech). Not having a smooth surface when loading and trying to lock the spear can result in a "half cocked" and the sear not fully seating into position. This can be a dangerous condition. Replacement trigger parts are available from JBL.

Be careful look over triger if any dammage is found use as wall decoration jbl are ok but not worth investing big money in. buy a new gun.

I have to agree with Johnoly and RockHunter. After Iam dome using the knife, spearguns or regulators I like to leave those in fresh water for as long as I can or clean them last , then, when in the offseason clean well again, lubricate the metal and cilicone all sligs, bag them in a black plastic and place them in a the cooldes spot in the house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom