Are you a caver??

Are you a caver too??

• Caving, NO-way, there might be bats, its dark and tight!

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Caving, love it but not with scuba gear.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Caving, love it but only if I’m under the water.

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Caving, just get me underground, doesn’t matter above or below the water.

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
In addition to Scuba, I have noticed that most people have listed other “adventure” sports as hobbies. I’m interested in how many divers are also cavers. Me, I’m a caver turned diver.

I found a good thread that helps explain a cavers obsession with caving:
Why Cave thread

Let me know your most enjoyable and most difficult.

Well Pez,

As you know I am a diver turned caver, turned cave diver, or something like that.

The fact is I love both, however, as the snow starts to settle on my roof, I find that cave diving is much easier on my knees!

While there is nothing that compares to crawling your way through hundreds of meters of tight passage to find yourself standing at the entrance to a cavern the size of ballroom, or decending a shaft on a thread of rope only to assend the same web hours later. I now find it's much easier to use my gas to ascend!=-)

I am a cave diver turning caver. I just ordered some gear and getting ready for my first trips this month. I did some rappelling a few months back and went short distance in this one limestone cave here in Florida. I can't wait. Although it did kinda freak me out a little when I first went in cuz there was no water in there. It looked just like the caves I dive. Pretty weird.

Wendy once bubbled...
I am a cave diver turning caver. I just ordered some gear and getting ready for my first trips this month. I did some rappelling a few months back and went short distance in this one limestone cave here in Florida. I can't wait. Although it did kinda freak me out a little when I first went in cuz there was no water in there. It looked just like the caves I dive. Pretty weird.

Its when you start walking with a "frog walk" and calculating your water supply in thirds that you have to worry.:D
Dave

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Its when you start walking with a "frog walk" and calculating your water supply in thirds that you have to worry.:D
Dave

LOL Too funny.

I never thought that I would have to calculate my water supply in thirds. But after a long and dry survey trip into Wind Cave a few months back I learnt to never count on potential water in a cave. Hmm, 17 hours in a very warm (15 C) cave, working your butt off and I only had a 1 l of water for the trip.

Wendy,

Good luck with the "dry" caving, it's a blast. If you want to do some vertical caving and lots of new exploration, head north to the Rockies. If you find it you name it. Of course only after you survey it.

Edited to correct sp.

Caver first.

Diver second.

Don't plan to mix the two anytime soon.... our tiny mud holes here in the northeast don't give much opportunity for it anyway :p

Only a cave diver... geez, one of the two is expensive and time consuming enough. :wink:

I did live in Louisville, KY for 5yrs when I was a kid though and my family would go to Mamoth Cave several times a year. It was awesome but I enjoy diving in the caves now. There are some water filled caves in Mexico that can rival Mamoth Cave in KY!

Yup, I actually gave up most of my above-the-water caving for diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom