Dahab or Marsa Alam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone !

My wife and I are newly certified divers (PADI Open Water) looking to spend a week diving in Egypt in september-october 2009. We don't know yet wether Dahab or Marsa Alam would be the best place...
Marsa Alam seems better for what I've read but I feel it's not as appropriate for beginners... even though the wildlife is reportedly better.

Which place is best in september-october?
Could you recommend some dive centers?

Thank you very much.

I've never been to Marsa Alam so far, however was few times in Dahab. Dahab is a perfect, relaxing place, where you can enjoy great diving and are spoilt of choices in the evening as there are a lot of resutarants located along the bay. From what I read, Marsa Alam is very quiet, too quiet as apart from hotels there is not much to explore.

I've been to both places a few times. Stiwi is correct in his characterisation of Dahab.

The province of Marsa Alam is a long stretch of barren coast with the occasional resort or garbage dump hemmed in between the desert mountains and the sea. A tourist town (Port Ghalib) is being built near the airport but doesn't amount to much for now. Further along the coast to the south the formerly sleepy village of Marsa Alam is growing rapidly, but again doesn't offer anything to tourists.
The diving is a bit better there (more chance to see sharks, more abundant coral), though I wouldn't mind another visit to Dahab myself.

If you want the chance of seeing some big stuff then Marsa Alam is the place to go with the possibility of trips to Elphinstone and maybe trips to see the Dugongs.

Dahab has some stunning dives which really need AOW status to get the best out of them - depths of 30m. It is a very laid back place and is in easy reach of Sharm if you fancy a day trip and also Nuweiba further up the coast for the chance of seeing Frog Fish and Seahorses.

In terms of dive centres then take your pick but do use a reputable centre in Dahab - there are some I wouldn't use - cheapest is not always the best choice. In Marsa Alam then Emperor Divers I know and would recommend but again do some research and choose the best for you.

Enjoy your trip!

If diving is your main aim, Marsa Alam is "better", for reasons mentioned above. If you want a bit of a social life and good diving, Dahab may be better, as in MA you will largely be confined to your resort or dive camp with not much else around.
I disagree that Dahab's best dives are only for AOW divers - there are plenty of beautiful shallower divers, and there are loads of people doing their OWC there.
For Elphinstone reef (MA), most reputable dive operations requite at least 50 logged dives, and it's usually only for reasonably experienced divers (depth, current), btw.

The OP and his dearly beloved are PADI O/W.
They are not going to be allowed to dive Elphinstone,

I am in Dahab working as an instructor, and I would say that having dived all over Egypt, that Dahab far outweighs Marsa alam for an O/W diver with a partner.

More life in the evenings, better weather (and I love the heat, mind you) and the diving is more structured and accounts for all qualification levels, from those with only 2 dives to those tech-heads with thousands of dives and hundreds of tanks

I've never been to Marsa Alam so far, however was few times in Dahab. Dahab is a perfect, relaxing place, where you can enjoy great diving and are spoilt of choices in the evening as there are a lot of resutarants located along the bay. From what I read, Marsa Alam is very quiet, too quiet as apart from hotels there is not much to explore.

+1 Go Dahab !! Perfect dives for you.. Most are dives straight off the beach and all are amazing for sea life and sights.. I know I'm a regular :D

Thanks to all for the useful information.

Could anyone tell me if the diving in Dahab is good in november?

I just returned from Dahab, diving at the BigBlue Divecentre. They have build new rooms (brand new aircon) just at the seafront and are located on the beach strip at Mashraba (too the south). Everything you need is just next to it and its nice to walk along the beachpromenade into "town", 5 minutes.

I rentet equipment, and I am very picky on this part, an everything was good. The price was very cheap aswell. I booked online, their: "red sea experience package" and only paid about 250 pounds (UK) for 1 week accomadation, 10dives, breakfast and equipment. They also picked me up at the airport.

I am going again as soon as possible :)

BIG BLUE DAHAB

I would use the opportunity to do the AOW if you want to dive the red sea more in the future though :)
I did my nitrox at BB and paid 100 Euros incl. tables/book.

Br

Martin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom