Where to hunt in the Panama City area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nixdax

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to underwater hunting and was wondering if there are any shore spots that people could recommend in the Panama City area. I have limited access to boats currently, but I am eager to get out and begin honing my skills.

Thanks!

Define what you mean by underwater hunting....

do you mean spear-fishing?

I think it's against the law to spear fish from the shore, or within X feet of the shore in Florida. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I think can still catch crabs from the shore, when in season and if you have a current license.

Yes, I mean spearfishing. I am currently also in the process of looking up local spearfishing regulations. I did not know it was illegal from shore.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ah, it appears you can spearfish from shore. There are just a few rules surrounding the particulars.

Spearing

Ah, it appears you can spearfish from shore. There are just a few rules surrounding the particulars.

Spearing

those were the rules I was talking about spearfishing from shore... (or the limits of it).

You May NOT Spearfish​
(Excluding bowhunting and gigging):
  • Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
  • Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea – except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the
    shoreline.

Bummer, thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Dive Locker over on Thomas Drive will take care of you. For shore dives the Jettys are awesome, but no spear fishing there.

Some of us (me me me) dive charters actually run dedicated spearfishing charters to the limestone reef areas in addition to being "spearfriendly" (letting people dive with spearguns on regular trips to popular dive sites. Sadly those same sites are poor hunting due to heavy pressure. I would be more than happy to discuss spearing around panama city in detail if you want to call me or email me,
anytime even if you aren't booking a charter. 850-624-2084 patrickmgreen@gmail.com

In general though Wayward Son has nailed it on the head, you need a boat to do any spearing in the panhandle of Florida. Limestone reef is way more productive than public numbers like the artificial reefs so thats where you want to go to find fish.

Back
Top Bottom