I would like to propose that the Admins Start a "What If" Scenario Category.

Should we start a "What If" Scenario Category?

• Vote Yes!

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Vote No!

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Help, I've fallen and can't get up!

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground!

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don't really dive anyway, I just like to bug you guys!

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I hear and want to inquire more on the "What If's" than anything else. We can talk about life saving scenarios; ie "what do you do in a ripping current that's pulling you away from the boat underwater? What do you do if you are alone, and low on air?

Talk about your experiences and what you did to get yourself out of a bind, etc...

I think we should get one started. It may save someone's life one day or maybe even a group.

What do you guys think?

Trust me I have lots of diving questions to ask, and don't want it mixed up with all the other different categories that are discussed now.

For example, the "Masks" category, c'mon I'm burnt out on that section already, I have 6 pairs of the same mask I ain't never going to change to any other kind "so there". Besides, those questions can be asked under "General Equipment" anyway.
:)

His purge button got sand stuck in it, what did he do. He tried to switch to his alternate, it was jammed too.

He told me that he had to hold his breath for 40 seconds, unscrew the front of the 2nd stage regulator cap, took it apart, shook the excess sand out of the diaphragm, put it back together carefully, purged it. He was breathing with that one, did the same with the alternate and was back on his merry way.

That moved saved his life, instead of shooting up to the surface at 60' with both his regs taking a crap, it could have caused great injury and even if he did make it up to the surface, he would still be alone, no one would have know what happened to him or how to approach his injury. Most passerby's don't know what DCS or what an air embolism is? Heck I don't even know what a victim of it looks like, worse yet, someone who's trying to help and ends up doing more damage than good.

THIS POST IS NEEDED!!!!!!:whip:

Jackknife once bubbled...
I hear and want to inquire more on the "What If's" than anything else. We can talk about life saving scenarios; ie "what do you do in a ripping current that's pulling you away from the boat underwater? What do you do if you are alone, and low on air?

Talk about your experiences and what you did to get yourself out of a bind, etc...

I think we should get one started. It may save someone's life one day or maybe even a group.

What do you guys think?

Trust me I have lots of diving questions to ask, and don't want it mixed up with all the other different categories that are discussed now.

For example, the "Masks" category, c'mon I'm burnt out on that section already, I have 6 pairs of the same mask I ain't never going to change to any other kind "so there". Besides, those questions can be asked under "General Equipment" anyway.
:)

Well, it will probably end up as a dumping ground for macho "fishing" stories like the one your buddy told you. Regulators don't tend to jam if they have sand in them. They tend to freeflow.

I'm not sure we'll get anything useful out of this.

R..

Start a "What if" thread in the basic scuba discussions, and see how it turns out.

As had been said, the reg story was hype. If you have a question, ask it. There are already too many forums IMO.

MD

Jackknife once bubbled...
His purge button got sand stuck in it, what did he do. He tried to switch to his alternate, it was jammed too.

He told me that he had to hold his breath for 40 seconds, unscrew the front of the 2nd stage regulator cap, took it apart, shook the excess sand out of the diaphragm, put it back together carefully, purged it. He was breathing with that one, did the same with the alternate and was back on his merry way.

That moved saved his life, instead of shooting up to the surface at 60' with both his regs taking a crap, it could have caused great injury and even if he did make it up to the surface, he would still be alone, no one would have know what happened to him or how to approach his injury. Most passerby's don't know what DCS or what an air embolism is? Heck I don't even know what a victim of it looks like, worse yet, someone who's trying to help and ends up doing more damage than good.

THIS POST IS NEEDED!!!!!!:whip:

Glad he made it; however, why didn't he breathe off the free flowing reg while he ascended at a normal rate? Unless he was already seriously low on air or on a deco profile (which is why he should have had a buddy), this would have worked without the necessity of disassembling his reg.

If this has been beat to death in another thread, then please disregard the question and point me to the thread. Thanks

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Well, it will probably end up as a dumping ground for macho "fishing" stories like the one your buddy told you. Regulators don't tend to jam if they have sand in them. They tend to freeflow.

I'm not sure we'll get anything useful out of this.

R..

not sure huh? Well you never know till you start one. Like I said, I would rather heard about what if's than masks!

MechDiver once bubbled...
As had been said, the reg story was hype. If you have a question, ask it. There are already too many forums IMO.

MD

Hype huh? I happen to be good friends with this guy, and he is a very knowledgeable responsible diver. What hype stories have you already put out bud?

Give this a chance.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Glad he made it; however, why didn't he breathe off the free flowing reg while he ascended at a normal rate? Unless he was already seriously low on air or on a deco profile (which is why he should have had a buddy), this would have worked without the necessity of disassembling his reg.

If this has been beat to death in another thread, then please disregard the question and point me to the thread. Thanks

He made it fine, I told him about some of the feedback I was going to get on this forum, he's not surprised, after diving for 20 years I'm sure he's heard it all. A lot of "oldy divers" don't like to heard progression, they wan't everybody to learn the hard way!

That's fine, but I still don't understand why he did it this way. I don't believe that this is a new diver v. old diver issue. In my mind, its the choice between two options, both of which might work, but with a significant difference in the potential risk.

My opinion on the best option would change if you tell me that he could not immediately ascend or if he had insufficient gas. So I'm really curious.

Back
Top Bottom