Back-Pack Any One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeaverDiver1

Registered
Reaction score
So I am a cold water diver, and I just switched from a BCD to a back-pack, and even though I have used wing style BC's I find that the back-pack has much less drag, as well as much less restriction. Any one else out there still use the old gear?

I'm not sure what you mean by a back pack. You mean back plate only?

Think 1971. AT least that's what they were called back then.

Contour plastic shell thingie with integral strapification devices.

Horse collar BC or inflatable suit.

I guess.

Attachments

• sportpac.jpg
    sportpac.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Doc.

I do have a couple of friends who dive them with RAMs. The Hammerhead and Chip104 are the two but I'm sure there are others. Nemrod comes to mind.

I collected a few of them and mounted 13 and 30 cu ft tanks on them (with cable ties, no less).

Great for pool parties. Have gotten more than a few hooked on the sport with them.

I have several I use pretty much all the time with no BC.

Yes, my 1977 backpack was great. Not so great was my 1977 USD Horsecollar BC ww/co2 cart. (Although it had a power inflate before they were super common!).

So what do you do for a redundant bouyancy?

I find with my Dry-Suit, a BC is hardly worth the hassle, I have my whieght pretty much right on, and a few positive pounds is all that I need

Of course we still dive those. Don't need no stink'n BC. Of course, if you want to be a purist you need an original Sea Hunt style harness webbing which has no back plate at all save for the tank itself.

And yes, there is much less drag once you dispense of the "air bag" regardless of the shape and style of the air bag.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom