Cavern or Cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quest

Reaction score
Im not trained in cave/cavern diving, dont even know much about it. But, would like to get into it sometime in the distant future.

But, i have a question between the training and equipment differences between the two.

1. What is the biggest enviromental difference in a cave versus cavern dive?
2. Is training different?
3. Is the equipment different?
4. Is there any cross overs between training certs?
5. Which does florida have more of?
6. What are the better agencies that teach the two?

I ask this because i noticed some local dive schools who also are either a certified cavern or certified cave instructor. Just dont know much about the two subjects and all.

Thanks.

1. What is the biggest enviromental difference in a cave versus cavern dive?

A cavern is overhead that has a daylight zone. Once you pass the light zone you are considered to be in a cave, also at night a cavern would be considered a cave because of no sunlight. Cavern limits are 130 linear feet from the surface and no deeper than 70' in depth.

2. Is training different?

Yes and no. No in that you have to know the basics of cavern diving in order to cave dive, and yes in that cave diving is more in depth.

3. Is the equipment different?

Cavern training is generally done in a single tank, preferably with a h-valve. Intro to cave is also single tank (although some instructors will allow doubles). Apprentice and full cave are done in doubles. A long hose is recommended (if not required) for both cavern and cave diving along with things like slate, primary light, backup lights (2 backups for cave diving, 2 backups for cavern, one being a light and the other being the sun), a reel, a spool, and various other things.

4. Is there any cross overs between training certs?

Often cavern is a pre-requiste to cave training. Some instructors offer cavern and intro cave together. Or some do the week long do cavern to full cave all at once route (I don't like this one, I believe in one course at a time, become proficient in that, then move on to the next level, but to each his own).

5. Which does florida have more of?

I'd think that this would pretty much be equal, since most all caves are going to have somewhat of a cavern zone.

6. What are the better agencies that teach the two?

This is one of those questions where I would answer, its not the agency its the instructor. Pick the instructor that you want to train with.

Training agencies to look at though are GUE, IANTD, NSS-CDS, NACD, and PADI offers cavern .

Definitely sheds some light on the subject for me. Thanks Wendy.

thanks,, you seem to have a pretty good handle on this subject.
Do you think that dir-f is a good place to start?? even for cavern training?? or just for people that want to take cave and tech courses??

buck

I think that both DIR-F and cavern should be taken by folks even if they have no desire to pursue further training of a technical nature. The skills you learn in DIR-F will help you fine tune your diving (I think that's why you see so many folks of different experience levels takig the course) and even before DIR-F was out there I was recommending cavern courses to ow divers because I felt it just made you a more well rounded diver and many of the skills can be used in your ow diving.

From an instructional point of view-

Cavern is the first step in learning to cave dive. This course is where you learn all the basics, including real work and propulsion techniques. All of the agencies other than GUE have a cavern course that you must take before progressing. GUE incorporates the skills learned in cavern into Cave1. Cavern is essentially an openwater specialty, it is designed to be done in OW gear with a few minor modifications. Its a good class for anyone, as it will teach you some new things that are applicable to any environment. DIR-F falls intot he same catergory, though to my knowledge it is not a prerequisite fot other courses in the GUE curriculum.

I very much appreciate the insight,,,, I'm in the process of trying to get a dir-f course together here, where I live, hope it works out otherwise I may just take the course in florida.

thanks again,

buck

chickdiver once bubbled...
DIR-F falls intot he same catergory, though to my knowledge it is not a prerequisite fot other courses in the GUE curriculum.

I could be wrong, but I believe it is a prereq now. I recently recall reading that DIR-F is a prereq for the recreational TriOx course, as well.

I dont know- I am not a GUE instructor. I know that it hasn't in the past been a prereq, but I dont know what the current standards are.

chickdiver once bubbled...

DIR-F falls intot he same catergory, though to my knowledge it is not a prerequisite fot other courses in the GUE curriculum.

Depending on who you talk to it becomes a prereq starting on July or June 1st of this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom