Diving pre-requisites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhoody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I need to apologize for the following and address this to the SB moderators and admins.
It is NOT my intension to drag visitors from here away, but that thread on one of the boards I am running is so funny that I think it's ok to have a look at. The thread is only 3 days old, but the gut woh started it is either damned naive or a Troll.

At the end he blames his diveshop that they did not tell him that he has to be comfortable in the water to become a diver... Here is how it starts:

Isn't it that you have to pass the pre-requisites prior to diving which is 200 meters/yards ( no time limit ) and a 10 minute float/tread in water?

I passed the 200 meters/yards swim but failed the 10 minute tread/float. However, my DI still let me continue attending the PADI OW course ( 3 week course twice a week ). I passed all the confined diving skills and tests, but before our finals, my DI made a condition that I have to pass the 10 minute tread before I can join the 2 final dives in the lake. I have worked hard everyday in the pool for 3 weeks but still failed the 10 minute float/tread and I did not get certified.

My question is, why did they still make me go through the whole course if I failed the pre-requisites such as the 10 minute tread/float? It would have been fine with me to lose my $50 deposit after failing the pre-requisite and come back when I'm ready! But not by allowing me to continue with the whole course to expedite my $250 fee and then not getting certified because I cannot tread for 10 minutes!

Yes, to know how to swim is important in diving and you don't have to be an athlete to be able to do it. However, this is RECREATIONAL DIVING and it should have been the diving skills that they should focus your grade on the fact that you are fully geared when you do it. This isn't a swimming class!

What are the odds of a diver losing both his BCD and fins while diving and that he has to tread in water barefooted?

We were never required to be certified passengers when flying in an airplane? Nor you have to know how to parachute to view the sky from the plane?

But I'm only talking about their standard here in the US and I want to know what's the standard in the Philippines.

I really tried to be polite and not rhood(hehe) when I answered first and as Matt knows I am very good in being rude.... thats why my name is Rhoody not Polity...
for those who are interested here is the link to the thread :

Diving Pre-requisites (by Gold Surfer​
)

Rhoody

ps: dear mod, just delete it that one if you think its dragging away visitors, I would understand and might do the same on my boards

draging away visitors from PPD ?

not at all , we do have a thread for this kinda posts in the Pop corn thread.

personally, they should have not charged him the entire fee. and just stopped right there when he failed the tread test. looks like a rip off for me.

but hey, can't probably use my opinion. i never did the 10-minute tread. i just bought my 24-year old Danish instructor bottles of beer that evening :D

personally, they should have not charged him the entire fee. and just stopped right there when he failed the tread test. looks like a rip off for me.

but he was swimming 200 meters, as an Instructor I would let him continue too and give him another chance for a make up, bad swimmers need 5 minutes for this distance anyway, so let him swim a bit longer, read the linked thread, it is not forbidden to swim 10 minutes in circles. you need to stay 10 minutes somehow at the surfacce...
But it is more about the attitude of that guy in the following posts...

cheers

Rhoody

Rhoody, I do understand where you're coming from. However, if I am to base my opinion on what you've just posted, and not read the rest of the thread, he shouldn't have been allowed to proceed with the course, until he's passed the 10 minute tread. But then, again, you're an instructor and I'm not.

" I passed the 200 meters/yards swim but failed the 10 minute tread/float. However, my DI still let me continue attending the PADI OW course ( 3 week course twice a week ). I passed all the confined diving skills and tests, but before our finals, my DI made a condition that I have to pass the 10 minute tread before I can join the 2 final dives in the lake. I have worked hard everyday in the pool for 3 weeks but still failed the 10 minute float/tread and I did not get certified."

I agree with this. But then again, I also understand instructors who don't want to exclude students at the first sign of problems. Especially if they think the student will be able to make it before the end of the class. I can't belive he can swim 200m, but can't tread water for 10 minutes. That smells trolly...

COD

Rhoody, I do understand where you're coming from. However, if I am to base my opinion on what you've just posted, and not read the rest of the thread, he shouldn't have been allowed to proceed with the course, until he's passed the 10 minute tread. But then, again, you're an instructor and I'm not.

" I passed the 200 meters/yards swim but failed the 10 minute tread/float. However, my DI still let me continue attending the PADI OW course ( 3 week course twice a week ). I passed all the confined diving skills and tests, but before our finals, my DI made a condition that I have to pass the 10 minute tread before I can join the 2 final dives in the lake. I have worked hard everyday in the pool for 3 weeks but still failed the 10 minute float/tread and I did not get certified."

In this case, the 10 minute treading/floating exercise is an exit requirement to meet before certification can be obtained. Sounds like your instructor was confident that you could successfully complete this exercise before the completion of the course. The 10 minute float is normally considered easier than the distance swim. Keep practicing and insist that he lets you try try again... just my 2 cents worth.

I think they should have told him he could continue with the class but had to be able to perform the tread before he could be certified.Within a said amount of time of course.

Back
Top Bottom