Nubble 5/30/08 - Private tour of lighthouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
A good day to play hooky from work. WaltF and I met up with Gintz about 9:30. Was pleased to see the water completely flat and calm and great vis. As we were suiting up, we were greeted by the Nubble Parks and Recreation dept. guy that is resp. for maintaining Nubble Lighthouse. He had asked us if we would be willing to secure a buoy and chain to his mooring. This really would help him a lot as he uses for ferrying supplies and equipment to the lighthouse. (Vs. using the dingy or the small basket on the cable) If we didn’t do it, he would have to wait until next semester starts for UNH students to do it for him. We only too glad to help. The plan was for the Lighthouse keeper to go to where the mooring is on his dingy. Gintz to be swimming on surface. When Walt and I found it, we would tug on the flag signaling Gintz to bring down the chain. Easy plan but the mooring wasn’t where he thought it was. Gintz found it on the surface and was trying to yell to us under to point it out. Eventually, we found it and did the deed. Walt surfaced to signal all set and we went on with our dive. (less than 1000 lbs, 10 min later)

As we surfaced from our 1st dive, Walt let us know the parks dept. guy offered us a private tour of the island and inside the lighthouse! We were psyched and definitely took him up on the offer. I have posted my pics to dive club photo gallery pics The tour was so cool. It was bizarre seeing nubble from the island side. The water was so amazing clear from atop the lighthouse, you could clearly make out the bottom.

As I was being brought over to the island with the Parks dept guy, there was the tourist boat that you see all the time in the cove. The boat with the mini bar and PA system with tour guide telling stories of the island. The parks guy told me that half the stuff she says is such a load of crap. I thought it was a hoot.

About the dives

Dive 1 Stats
In at 10:11, max dept 39 fsw, temps at depth 42 degrees. Max bottom time 47 minutes.
Once finished attaching the mooring chain, we continued towards the point of the island and then turned left to follow the mini-wall towards the left side of the cove. As we got to the other side, we gradually turned around and started heading back towards the entry point. On way toward entry, Gintz and I saw a cod in one of the traps and released (2nd good deed of the day) We saw tons of baitfish, lots of sculpin, a few flounder and plenty of bugs in traps and in rocks. (they’re back!)

Dive 2 Stats:
In 11:42, max depth 52 fsw, temp on other side of island 41 degrees, max bottom time 32 min. This was the routine go to point and other side of the island. Again, the vis was great on the other side.

Yes indeed a good day! Great weather, like-glass conditions with good viz and a nice tour!

Back
Top Bottom