Suunto on Mac: DiveLog and MacDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've tried out both DiveLog and MacDive with my Suunto Vyper and a MacBook Pro (Intel) using a Custom Idea USB cable. Here are some comments:
  • Both programs work well! They let you add notes to your dives, plot the profiles, show alarms, and add pictures. I haven't added pictures to either program, so I can't comment on how that works between the two.
  • MacDive is free; DiveLog costs $30 for one computer and $45 for up to 5 computers (after a 30 day free trial).
  • MacDive has slicker graphics, and does a nicer job of automatically loading updates.
  • MacDive gives you no choice; it saves your data in ~/Library/Application Support/MacDive/MacDive.sqlite on the basis that users don't want to have to think about how their data is saved. Though that may indeed be nice for most users, in my case I prefer DiveLog's ability to save your data in a file you name and in a place you decide. That's nice for multiple computers, and for the way I do backups.
  • DiveLog lets you export dive data in UDCF format. It lets you generate a web page listing all your dives, with links to a web display of the profile and info on each individual dive. It also lets you print both a list of all dives, and an info page for an individual dive. I'm not aware of similar options in MacDive.
  • DiveLog has some online help in the program. MacDive doesn't yet.
DiveLog has been around longer, and I wouldn't be surprised if they both continue to add capabilities. I'm glad to see both programs being developed!

Because I've bought new computers, Cobra2 (main) and D4(backup) which are replace Cobra and Mosquito. no choice at all. only Macdive support to my new toys.

Macdive is free, works well even with new computers and has nice function. Photo album works well too :)

I downloaded the 30 day trial for DiveLog and really like it. Unfortunately, when my trial was up and I tried to purchase, the credit card system on the DiveLog website would not allow me to complete the transaction. I emailed the guy who makes DiveLog and he told me that his credit card purchase system must not like Amex cards - he asked if I could use another. Since I prefer to use Amex for all of my purchases - he said he'd check with his credit card company and get back to me. It's been several weeks now with no reply despite the fact that I've emailed him several times.

Oh well - I wanted to buy DiveLog, but apparently he doesn't want to sell it to me... Glad I found this thread - guess I'll try MacDive.

Hi. I can't get Macdive to work. I can upload dives from my Mosquito (it says it has added them) but then displays no dives. Shows "0 of 0" at the bottom of the screen. Nada. Zip. Same if I import from an SDM database.

Has this error message on open/save/exit: "The file ŮacDive.sqlite could not be opened because it is not in the right format. The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in a different format than you expect."

A search for ".sqlite" shows nothing related to macdive and a search for "macdive" results in only the application and dmg files.

Any advice? I'm fairly new to Macs btw.

Perhaps your data file got corrupted? The file is
Library/Application Support/MacDive/MacDive.sqlite
You could try deleting that file, and then running MacDive again and downloading again.

By the way, DiveLog just added Cobra 2 support a few months ago. MacDive has had Cobra 2 support for a while, and now supports the Cobra 3 (though you have to ask to download from the dive computer twice, as it says there's an error the first time).

Back
Top Bottom