Navarre Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Snuck out of the office early Friday afternoon, and headed to Navarre Pier with my dive buddy "G".

The surf was almost non-existant. Once we were down, there was a significant surge, but not enough to put us into any of the pilings. Deepest depth was a startling 17 feet :D viz was 10-20ish, and water temps were 80F.

The water was positively ate-up with jellies. We did well avoiding them on the afternoon dive, but we both took heavy hits to the face during our night dive. The fishies were pretty scarce on the first run (neap tide I believe) but once it got dark, and the tide shifted, a few more critters made an appearance, including a sheepshead that looked like it could feed a family of six by himself. G also found an octopus, but the little guy was pretty shy. I put a shell near his hidey-hole, hoping to coax him out, and he promptly reached out a single arm, grabbed the shell, and added it to his little defensive rock pile :D

Video: YouTube - Navarre Beach Pier - http://gulf-coast-divers.com/

Cool video, Navarre Pier can be a really nice dive when you catch it right. It looks like there is still some rubble from the collapsed section that isn't covered up...looks like I need to get out there soon.

Very nice. Cool looking crab that I have not seen before.

Did one this past Saturday night, and I still have the red ring around my neck from the jellyfish stings (looks like someone tried to strangle me). Be sure to wear full coverage and a hood (though the hood did not do me too many favors) I'll post a full report on the dive later.

-h

Good video. I love how the crab didn't even notice you and just kept eating away. I'd love to see that.

Best guess is that it is a "clinging crab". We saw lots of babies this weekend, but nothing close to that size.

That's very cool. I just need to get out more often. Sand is looking good t me right now. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom