Trying to decide between Mares Icon, Zeagle Escape and Sherwood Avid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Mares Icon is a very light and compact back inflate BCD which I am able to get for $350 (as a "like new" demo unit). The thing that really turns me off about it though is that it has only 1 measly roll-down carrying pocket. I carry flashlights, a large Safety Sausage and reel as well as a strobe light , a whistle etc., compass etc.

Most of these I have kept in the large pockets of my current Cressi-Sub Aqualight-R. I try to minimize the amount of stuff hanging off my "D" rings because they tend to congest the free space on the BCD as well as creating an entanglement hazard.

Anyway I like the Mares Icon otherwise and decided to send away for various pockets to try which can be attached to one of the "D" rings or elsewhere on the BCD but am wondering if this will affect the bouyancy characteristics of that type of BCD?

The Zeagle Escape is also a back inflate BCD but has two average sized zippered pockets and maybe that BCD might be a better choice.

The Sherwood Avid is VERY nice and has all the goodies I want (large pockets, double tank bands etc., but it is a jacket-style BCD which my current Cressi-Aqualight-R is also and the latter has performed marvelously for any type of diving that I've done.

My diving is warm water but I have certification for Cavern Diving and may take an Intro. to Cave Diving course (which can be done with a single tank).

Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

AVID wears like iron, and is easy to dive with. Had mine over 2 years, now. The pockets are not so roomy with the weight pouches in. I was thinking about getting a back inflate this year. A buddy told me I was a really good diver and should not change anything.

Gee.. who can argue with that?

Have fun with it.

Stu

Zeagle makes a solid product. I use a Ranger and my wife uses an Escape. We got it technically used however it never went below 20 feet. Got a great deal on it. Nice part about Zeagle is the bladders are changeable. You decide to get a back plate and wings down the road, just take the bladder off the Escape and attach it. Need more lift but don't want another BC, order a Ranger bladder and attach it to the Escape.

BP+Wing system???

well... new to the site I have the sherwood avid, and like it pretty much, never have had problems with it I think it is a really good choice

The Avid is probably the best bang for the bucks from your list. As jacket style BCs go it is a good solid performer, from a good manufacturer and can usually be found for a reasonable price.

only one pocket on the icon? how many tank straps? i saw a pic that had weight pockets around the tank strap, is that standard or add on?
thanks.
i'm considering Mares Icon or Zeagle Escape for travel, or just going all the way with a Ranger LTD. just how big is the ranger??? is there really that big of a difference when packing for a trip?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom