Buying a used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReelDuel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new to scuba and just want to know what comes with a new BC. I am picking up used stuff for me so the wife can have all new gear. I purchased a used Ranger BC for myself in what appears to be fairly good condition. It doesn't leak and everything seems to work ok without hooking it up to tanks. (dumps, manual inflate etc.) My question is if you purchase a new BC does it include the quick connect/dis-connect line to connect to the BC to the stage one? Newb just tryin to get in the water.

Every new BC that I've seen includes the "power inflator hose" that you connect to your first stage of your regulator...

now... the above is for NEW BC's.

for most used BC's, the inflator hose usually isn't offered as part of the deal, but sometimes it is.... the reason that it's not typically offered is that hose is connected to the regulator set and often sold with it instead. Either that or the sellers don't bother to go get it and include it as a set.... I would say at that 80% plus used BC's aren't sold with an inflator hose, but that's just a wild add guess on my part. it might actually be higher.

Note, if you have to go buy a hose for your power inflator, make sure you get one for your brand/type of inflator connection. THere are about different types in the US of power inflator connections. mostly easily seperated by brand name.

for a good chart of what type uses what, go check out the Dive Alert horn pages. they make horns for all these connections and they have a chart with the "type" and the manufacturer name so you'll know which horn connection to buy. this will help you identify what hose you need for your used BC.

Inflator hoses come with new bcd's, but most people forget to take them off their regs when they sell theirs.
Ask about it. If they say no, oh well. You can pick up and inflator hose for about 30-35 bucks ( at least in my neck of the desert, anyway)

Also, on a used BC it might be worth having it serviced by your LDS (unless you are sure the person really treated their gear well.

Note, if you have to go buy a hose for your power inflator, make sure you get one for your brand/type of inflator connection. THere are about different types in the US of power inflator connections. mostly easily seperated by brand name.

There's a standard low pressure inflator connection that is common to all major brands in the scuba industry. Maybe you're referring to different types of octo/inflator combos like the air 2. They have different connectors, but the typical inflator hose is a standard.

There's a standard low pressure inflator connection that is common to all major brands in the scuba industry. Maybe you're referring to different types of octo/inflator combos like the air 2. They have different connectors, but the typical inflator hose is a standard.

There are several different LP inflator connections.

There is the one that is the generic standard, then several different brands have "their own" type of connection that is not compatible with others. But also the octo/inflator combos like the Air2 you referenced above.

Here is a pic of the connections to show they are different on different Dive Alert horns.

see chart at Dive•Alert Models

Standard connection DA-1 - fitsgeneric standard connections
da-1.jpg
\

DA-2X - fits SeaQuest AirSource, Zeagle Octoplus, Beauchat Venturi,
U.S. Divers Air Mic & Oceanic Air XS
da-2.jpg

DA-3x - fits ScubaPro Air 2, Tusa Duo-Air & Atomic SS1
da-3.jpg

The example you posted shows the standard LP inflator connector (first one) and the other two are for different types of octo/inflators.

LP inflator hose is a standard with all new BCDs.

Back
Top Bottom