Help with a big BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMJJS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving (just got certified), but think I need to get my own BCD because of my size. I'm 6'2", weigh 315 pounds, have 51" chest and 48" waist.

During my open water dives I was using a 5XL 7mm wetsuit and a XL BCD which I could just barely get snapped. I was carrying 36 pounds of weights and could barely decend. I was carrying 20 pounds in the dumpable pouches and the rest in non-dumpable pouch and pockets. This was all in fresh water.

I went to Gander mountain and found the XL BCDs there fit much better and the XXL one were downright roomy and comfortable.

My questions:
1) Should I get a BCD with weight pockets or just use a weight belt in the future?
2) What BCDs have the removable double weight pockets on each side? I saw someone at the quarry wearing a BCD and when he pulled out the weight pockets there were two pouches mounted on the removable pocket on each side. I'm guessing this would allow me to carry 20 pounds on each side (2 5lb bags in each pouch - 2 pouches each side)
3) I'm going to travel (airplanes) for most of my diving (at least that's what I think now), so are there different types of BCDs that are better for packing?
4) Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

How about a backplate system with pouches? I've seen them used on some of the larger sized divers.

Give ScubaToys a call and ask about the Zeagle BCs. They're modular and you can get different sized pieces, to achieve a custom fit.

The Zeagle Ranger is a good solid BCD. Zeagle can be ordered in individual part sizes. You can order according to tall or short proportions, larger frame sizes, you name it. The Ranger has a 44 lb capacity lift bladder.
If you need bigger lift capacity, go with teh Tech or 911. Both have a 65 lb. lift capacity.

Now other companies make individual components also. I am just more familiar with Zeagle. Make those calls. Don't dive uncomfortable gear. That's just one way to lead down that spiral... You should be quite able to fit a BCD comfortably. Just don't settle.....
Good diving,
Dee

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into those BCDs!

A couple of really newbie questions:
1) What is lift capacity? I'm guessing something to do with weights, but don't quiet understand.
2) What do you use the D-rings on a BCD for? I see the number advertised as a feature on different sites, but no one tells me the benefit.

Thanks again for all the help!

i also am of the larger size i have been looking for a decent jacket style bc an came across Dacor Nautica WD XXL BC for the BIG GUY its also pretty reasonable in price

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into those BCDs!

A couple of really newbie questions:
1) What is lift capacity? I'm guessing something to do with weights, but don't quiet understand.
2) What do you use the D-rings on a BCD for? I see the number advertised as a feature on different sites, but no one tells me the benefit.

Thanks again for all the help!

1) Lift capacity is the amount of weight that the bladder, when full inflated, can lift. You want to be able to inflate your bladder and have your entire BCD, with weights, gear and tank(s) able to float on their own. Here's where it gets a bit complicated. If you dive in cold water, you'll be wearing a lot of neoprene (wetsuit material) to stay warm. Neoprene floats, so you'll need a lot of lead to be able to descend. Now, at depth, the water pressure will crush the little bubbles in the neoprene and it won't be so floaty. To maintain neutral buoyancy, you'll need to add air to the BCD. If your bladder had insufficient capacity to counteract the lose of wetsuit buoyancy, you'd have trouble. In warm water, you wear less neoprene, so you carry less weight, so you can use a BCD with less lift capacity. These are known as "travel BCDs" (as if you'd only travel to dive in a place with warm water. But that's another topic.)

Some BCDs have removable, interchangeable bladders. E.g., I have a Zeagle Brigade (from ScubaToys) which came with a 35 lb. bladder (for "travel"/warm water diving) and I added a 65 lb. bladder, which I use in my home waters because I dive with a lot of neoprene, a steel tank and more that 40 lbs. of lead.

Before you spend the cash on a BCD, talk to your instructor (beware if he's also the LDS's salesman!), other LDSs, ScubaToys, etc. and evaluate YOUR needs.

2) D rings are helpful places to clip gear. Which gear? Depends upon YOUR diving. In my case, I have a whistle clipped to my upper left D ring, a retractor for my computer/compass clipped to my middle right D ring, and my DAN tag clipped to my lower left D ring.. When I'm diving with my camera system, it gets clipped to another D ring. Generally, more D rings in more places gives you more gear carrying options.

Hope the above helps. Welcome to the world of diving and the bewildering, challenging, dangerous and fun world of gear acquisition.

I'm a bigger guy too, and had a really hard time with my OW due to equipment. Here are some of the things I've learned:

• Avoid overloaded weight belts. At 22 lbs., I basically had more lead then belt, and it was a torture to keep in place. Especially if you are are a little soft and round in the middle, and don't have any hips. If (when!) it slips, you need a lot of hand strength to get it cinched up properly while you are in the water. Managing 22 lbs. during my OW was murder, 30 lbs. might have been too much. Integrated weight (the pockets you were talking about) is the way to go. Even if you can't get your full 30 odd lbs. in the BCD, you are going to be a lot happier only have the last few on a belt.
  • Consider a back inflate style BCD. My LDS let me try one several BCD's in the pool, and having as little as possible on my front and sides really helped with the fit.
  • Accept the fact that you are going to be dragging a lot of equipment around with you. There are travel BCD's out there, but they usually don't have weight pockets. Add in the rest of your equipment, and the different BCD's aren't going to pack all the differently. As a newer diver, a good fit is a lot more important that saving a few pounds.
  • Lift is how much positive buoyancy your BCD can add to you and your equipment. If you need 30 lbs. just to get underwater, lift isn't a big problem for you. On the surface, you might need a little bit more to stay comfortably out of the water.
  • Just a personal gripe, but if you are just getting started, you might want to find a local dive shop, as opposed to a sporting goods chain. When I checked out the dive section at the local Gander Mountain, it was being covered by the guy from fishing. He didn't know anything about dive certifications, and would have happily sold anyone enough equipment to go out and get themselves killed. You experience might be better, but it is still worth a second opinion.

I dive with a Scubapro Knighthawk, the XL is plenty roomy for me, and I know they made an XXL. I can easily get 10 lbs. in each side pocket, then another 5 lbs. in each of the trim pockets if I had to.

Last edited:
Weights: Integrated (that is the weights are in some way attached to the BC) is mostly a very good thing. The one downside: It makes putting on your gear more difficult. The tank/reg/bc package is not light. Add upwards of 30# of lead and it is very heavy.

Here is what I would consider: suspenders w/ditchable pockets (for example, those available from DUI). These rigs are worn under the BC, typically very adjustable (so the wight pockets are below your BC), the weight can easily be ditched, and are very comfortable. It is very difficult to dump the weight by accident. And your bc/tank/reg weight is kept much more reasonable. Spendy but worth it. Note: You still might want to use some weight with your bc in the trim pockets.

Lift: Others have explained this at length. Here is the short version: imagine the worst circumstance you will encounter. Does the BC have enough lift for that? At depth with a full tank (and maybe a little over weighted) and a bit of a downwell. On the surface with some chop (and still a full tank). And, will it float the tank and bc and reg (without you in it) at the surface assuming you need to float your gear for some reason?

You might also look at a plate and wings. I have also heard good things about the Seasoft for larger guys.

Thanks again for the all the responses. I know I need to get to a LDS for more information, but the closest one (the one I used to get certified) is almost a hour away from home while Gander Mtn is 5 minutes. Also I wanted some opinions from this board before being steered into what the LDS might carry versus what I might need.

I think I understand the lift capacity now, so thanks again.

I understand the D rings, I guess I just didn't realize there were that many accessories that you "clip" on. I thought clipping stuff on would dangle and you would instead carry most stuff in pockets on the BCD.

Thanks again for all the responses and now I have more research to do, but at least I have a direction to follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom