Mixing brands of regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any inherent problems in purchasing a good quality primary reg. from say Sherwood and then getting say a Mares Proton Metal Octopus?

Could I use 2 Mares Proton Metal Octopi 1 as a primary and 1 as backup?

Am also considering a Sherwood Gemini combination inflator/safe second octopus. Is there any problem using that device with another brand regulator as my primary reg.?

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Dear Sy,

Let me try and answer each of these questions.

Using a different manufacturer as an Octopus is not a big deal. That is not an uncommon practice. Using a different manufacturer's 2nd stage as your primary is not as common and in my opinion not the best idea. Each manufacturer sets the 1st stages IP at a certain level the 2nd stage is designed to perform optimally at that IP. Another 2nd stage may not perform as well.

As for the Gemini, that will work on any first stage, however you need to make sure that it will fit with your BC. It will install on BCs with a 1" corrugated hose, but not on a 3/4" corrugated hose.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Sherwood Rep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom