Diving in Alaska: What's it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanne001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is diving like in Alaska? We are planning on visiting our son in Anchorage next summer and would like to do some diving while there. Are there any places to go diving? The thoughts of diving in Turnagain Arm is terrifying to me. Where else could we go and what would we see? Do I have to have a dry suit? We would be visiting in the summer so would a 7 mm w/ dive skin and hooded vest be OK? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is diving like in Alaska? We are planning on visiting our son in Anchorage next summer and would like to do some diving while there. Are there any places to go diving? The thoughts of diving in Turnagain Arm is terrifying to me. Where else could we go and what would we see? Do I have to have a dry suit? We would be visiting in the summer so would a 7 mm w/ dive skin and hooded vest be OK? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jeanne, what's it like? FUN, the best cold water diving you'll ever do. (See pics)
Flickr: poogweese2002's Photostream
Since you'll be in Anchorage, I would suggest Whittier (Smitty's Cove) and/or Seward. Don't even think about Turnagain Arm-for wind surfers it's ok, pretty much deadly for anything else. I have known divers that dove (in Seward) in 7 mm and did ok, but they did have a couple coolers of hot water to pour down their suits after diving. So, yes, I think you could probably manage in a wetsuit, heck, just end the dive if you get too cold. Maybe someone else has more and better info for ya, it's been a few years since I lived in southcentral Alaska.

Have Fun,

Poog:coffee:

Alaska diving can be pretty good. Poog hit it straight on with Turnagain Arm, don't even think about it. I have been down in Southeast and Seward but do most of my diving in Whittier. Dive Alaska runs a boat out of Seward during the summer and while I have not been on it in a couple of years, it is a good operation. In fact, they got a different boat and I understand it is even better than when last I dove with them. Whittier is closer to Anchorage and most people shore dive Smitty's Cove, an easy entry/easy exit due to a ramp that goes deep and very calm water. During the summer visibility in Whittier varies with the plankton bloom. When conditions are good, as they have been over the last few weeks, diving is great. I have always used a drysuit, but I suppose it would be possible to use a wetsuit, just plan on getting a little colder. Finding someone to dive with in Whittier is not a problem. There is a group that dives Whittier on a regular basis (nearly every weekend) and they are a pretty welcoming bunch. I would suggest you check out a Alaska Underwater Adventures webpage Alaska Underwater Adventures - Anchorage, Alaska. for info about diving in Whittier. If yo need to rent gear, plan on renting it in Anchorage because there are no dive shops in Whittier or Seward.

Wet suit vs. Dry suit:
I've dove in both Whittier and out of Seward in both. It is a bit more comfortable in a dry suit. But, it is really no big deal to use a wet suit. I'd think if you can dive at home in a wet suit you can dive either of these places also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom