Cooking Cockles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
¡Hola Amigos!

On the last couple of dives here in the PNW I've been seeing cockles -- which is a bit strange since I haven't seen them loitering on the surface of the sand before. Anyway, they're big. Big enough that just a few should make a great meal. Which presents a problem...

I've been reading up on how to cook them but most of the recipes are from the UK, and all of them refer to a cockle as if it's some little tidbit that's cooked by the dozens. These are roughly fist-sized. For instance, in this picture (taken from an Australian cooking site) the cockles here would be about the size of the butter bowl on top:

0807cockles_264.jpg

Any suggestions on how to prep and serve them? Should I soak them first in saltwater overnight? Barbeque 'em? Steam them like a really big clam with butter and garlic? Given their size, I guess I'm mostly concerned about making sure they're thoroughly cooked.

Sorry if these are simpleton questions, I've never done this before.

glenn

Steam them, apply butter, and don't worry if they are not throughly cooked. Just eat them.

Steam them, apply butter, and don't worry if they are not throughly cooked. Just eat them.
... and garlic! Don't forget the garlic :)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom