Oceanic Atom 2.0 - Defective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

Today I got my Atom 2.0 from LeisurePro and I played around with it for a while and then took it to my LDS and bought a Sherwood Blizzard and an Octo, and had him install my transmitter. When he hooked it up to the air system and pressure tested the system my computer did not link to the transmitter. I checked the transmitter code on the unit and in the computer... they matched. It just kept blinking 00 PSI...

In my excitement I never really noticed how long the system was hooked up to the test bench... but I made sure to keep the wrist unit close to the transmitter.

Anyone seen anything like this, or have any suggestions? If it there is a malfunction I think I will return it and get a good hose connected computer.

Thanks,
Sam

There are a couple of things to look for: 1) other than the S/N, there is a "Receiver On/Off" setting - it needs to be on. 2) The watch stops "looking" for pressure if there is not a change after 10 minutes - while the watch is within range, cycle the second stage a few times - try pressing the lower left button on the watch a couple of times to cycle through displays, back to the main dive display. 3) If that doesn't work - give our tech support guys a call at 800-435-3483, ext. 761

You need to turn on the tank, then press and hold the upper left button for 2 seconds so the display changes from watch to SEA/NORM mode.

Then wait a few seconds for the transmitter and PDC to connect.

If you had already set SEA/NORM mode several minutes before he added pressure to the system, you would need to hold the upper left button again to tell the PDC to try linking again.

If you're going to bail on it and switch to a hose mount computer, send it back right now. You're never going to trust it anyway.

There are a couple of things to look for: 1) other than the S/N, there is a "Receiver On/Off" setting - it needs to be on. 2) The watch stops "looking" for pressure if there is not a change after 10 minutes - while the watch is within range, cycle the second stage a few times - try pressing the lower left button on the watch a couple of times to cycle through displays, back to the main dive display. 3) If that doesn't work - give our tech support guys a call at 800-435-3483, ext. 761

I have been through what I think to be all the options (SETF, SETA, SETU) and I can not find "Receiver On/Off" Unfortunately I won't have access to a tank until tomorrow evening. But I will try all those things. If you could let me know where the receiver setting is that would great. It does look like the watch is trying to link when in NORM/SURF mode. The wireless indicator and 00 psi are flashing.
Thanks,
Sam

You need to turn on the tank, then press and hold the upper left button for 2 seconds so the display changes from watch to SEA/NORM mode.

Then wait a few seconds for the transmitter and PDC to connect.

If you had already set SEA/NORM mode several minutes before he added pressure to the system, you would need to hold the upper left button again to tell the PDC to try linking again.

If you're going to bail on it and switch to a hose mount computer, send it back right now. You're never going to trust it anyway.

Thanks Phil, I will try that as well.
Your last comment: Is that your opinion as well? You don't trust the wireless computers? If I can get it to link up I will trust it, it seems like a rugged unit. I just don't want to have something I need to fight with every time I want to go diving :)

Thanks,
Sam

Sam, it is in the SETU menu. You will have "TMT 1" on the top of the computer, you will either see "ON" or "OFF" in the middle, and the serial number at the bottom.

See page 70 in your instruction manual.

From Phil's other posts on this forum, and the fact that he uses Oceanic wireless computers, my guess is his opinion is that he trusts them.

I trust Oceanic wireless computers with my life and have absolutely no qualms about doing so.

I use my Atom and my Datamask constantly. They're far more reliable than most of the electronics in my life -- including my my cell phone and broadband Internet service.

My comment is more directed towards your attitude. You have absolutely no idea if you even had the tank pressure on, and you're ready to send the Atom back to the retailer.

Do you really think the Atom 2 would be on the market if nobody could get them to link to transmitters? Do you really think Oceanic would be able to sell ANY Datamasks at $1500 each if the technology didn't work? Have a little faith in the equipment and don't label it a failure until you're certain the problem isn't user error.

Doh, I was looking for receiver on/off. I guess TMT1, really means "Listen for transmitter 1" and yes, it was set to ON. It is definitely trying to look for a signal.

Sorry Phil, I didn't mean my comment to "put down" the wireless technology. I did have tank pressure on it, there si no doubt about that. Being an electrical/computer engineer I know that transmitting RF through water is not a trivial problem (even at low frequency). I am sure it si a good product, but the more complicated an item is the less likely it is to work as designed. I am not going to give up on the Atom 2, it is the computer I want and if I must trade it in for new one I will. I am just inpatient and really want to try out my new computer and regulator!

I was looking at oceanicworldwide.com and I noticed LeisurePro was and authorized reseller (that is why I ordered it from them), but when I got it the computer came with a LP warranty card. But on closer inspection LP is not an authorized web seller? I guess I shouldn't get too concerned because they match warranties... I just want to make sure I have the full force of Oceanic behind me, that is all.

Yeah, the LP/Oceanic thing is kind of strange. It's my understanding that LP is an authorized Oceanic dealer for in-store sales only. Anything they sell over the web doesn't include Oceanic's warranty. It would be nice if LP made that clearer on their website, but I doubt that will happen.

The wireless technology in the Atom 2 works great, but it has a pretty limited range. It will work fine on your wrist while diving, but 10 feet away might be a bit much to ask.

Quit being impatient and go get in the water! :D

Yeah, the LP/Oceanic thing is kind of strange. It's my understanding that LP is an authorized Oceanic dealer for in-store sales only. Anything they sell over the web doesn't include Oceanic's warranty. It would be nice if LP made that clearer on their website, but I doubt that will happen.

The wireless technology in the Atom 2 works great, but it has a pretty limited range. It will work fine on your wrist while diving, but 10 feet away might be a bit much to ask.

Quit being impatient and go get in the water! :D

I will be in the water tomorrow evening! Hopefully with my own reg and computer :)

I could return the Atom 2 to LeisurePro and get a refund, and try to find it from and authorized online seller. Unfortunately I got the COMPLETE (w/ transmitter) from LeisurePro for $685, brand spanking new. If I return it to LP, I can not afford the $950+ from other sellers. What do you recommend? As long as LP has the warranty I feel a little better... but I don't know :/

Thoughts?

p.s. If the transmitter works tomorrow evening I will be jumping in the drink with it... so I might not even have the option of looking for it elsewhere :wink:

I doubt you can find an Authorized ONLINE seller. Oceanic wants to guarantee their guarantee by personal contact between knowledgeable seller and buyer. If you buy Oceanic ONLINE you still get Oceanic quality but you only get sellers Warranty. (It took me several pages and LDS's AND Oceanic Rep. to find out why online was cheaper). I hear (hear say) that LP will repair or replace (back their sales) in most cases. If you can wait that long to get your stuff fixed (have a back-up) you should be good to go.

Myself, I prefer a LDS middle man with the manufacturer backing him up on key items.
My profile should be evident that I have been doing lots of shopping, IE still not certified.

P.S. you can still go wrong. But with SB and all the help you can find here, it would be very hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom