Nice scallop dives on Fran Marcoux's boat, Daybreaker, Sun. 06/01/08 (w/pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Forgive me for gushing about Fran's service, but I can't help myself! This will be a long dive report, so I apologize in advance if it gets boring. :)

It had been a few years since I had an opportunity to dive on Fran Marcoux's boat, Daybreaker, out of Cape Ann Marina in Gloucester, MA, but it's as good as ever!

As soon as I got his email announcing a change of Sunday's PM dive to scallop dives with four spots open, I signed up right away. Glad I didn't wait, as those spots went fast.

Fran's charters are so popular, he doesn't need a website or advertising: he fills them by word of mouth and repeat customers. He's a knowledgable active diver himself and an experienced captain. He's easy going and personable and I consider him one of the best captains I've chartered with. He can be reached at 508-335-6339 or 508-873-8339. He'll gladly provide info on the phone or send email with the season schedule and updates, like the one I was so happy to receive. For anyone interested in a broad range of dive charters, I'd recommend getting on his email list.

Dive report:

It had been four years since I had done any scalloping, and most of my scallop dives had been on my own boat, not on charters, so I had to think about getting my gear culled down to just the essentials.... I hate to clog up precious deck space with my excess stuff.

After gathering and evaluating my scalloping gear, I was confident that I had what I needed. I probably had a little more gear than most, but essential for the way I like to do it.

Mainly, that gear included a big 33-gallon size catch bag, a tuna ball to provide flotation to keep the bag off the bottom and my homemade 1/4" thick Lexan flag line handle, strong enough to bear the weight. I also use a 20' tether line attached to the main bag from which to make sweeps from the main bag. The end of the tether line has a loop of 3/16" bungie cord that slips over my wrist. It's strong enough to pull the main bag, but loose enough to remove quickly if necessary. I also bring a 5-gallon size catch bag as a transfer bag which I hand carry and load with scallops. When partially full, it gets dumped into the main bag. Swimming a small bag really lessens the effort and extends my air. I also like to bring a lift bag to assist the hauling to the surface after the dive.

For me, it's been years since I've done any high exertion dives, or any real exercise, for that matter, so my main goal on these scallop dives was not to croak and ruin everybody's day! :wink:

Seriously, I didn't want to give myself a heart attack in the excitement and exertion of the hunt, a real concern that some divers will relate to, if they've ever had "scallop fever"!

Then there's the concern about getting bent from overstaying the bottom.... "Wow, there's two more big scallops over there!"

I took some aspirin before the dive.... :wink:

Seven divers were booked and everyone arrived at least an hour early for the afternoon charter. It was a good group of congenial strangers and competent divers.

Fran gave his safety review, just as thorough as I remembered. Then, just as in years before, came the offer of fresh melon, Oreos and soft drinks! He provides a real nice atmosphere.

The other nice thing about Fran is that he's an experienced diver himself and able to advise divers as needed, yet he doesn't intrude on individual dive styles. I've never heard him criticize anyone or push anyone toward a certain method or limit anyone. He provides great info on the conditions and topography of the dive site and assists with gear whenever needed, as does the mate.

Since we were all accounted for, we departed a half-hour early and then had a smooth hour-long ride, soaking up the warm sun and 70-degree air. We were able to suit up in the back, since it's a nice dry-riding boat. Only one diver was in a wetsuit. Brave girl!

First dive was in 80' of water off Satan Rock and the direction I intended to go turned out to face a slight 6-inch/second current. I knew fighting that would keep me from covering much ground, so I went diagonally or with the current most of the time.

I thought I might be in for slim pickin's after a couple minutes of not seeing any scallops. Vis was about 10-15'. Then I finally got into a few scattered scallops, then even more and by 29 minutes, I had about a third of a big bag. My hp120 was at 400 psi and I didn't want to use my al30 pony unless I was really into a pile of scallops. I headed up real slow and did a decent safety stop. During the stop, I was glad I over-dressed: I was beginning to feel the 42-degree water. The water temp had been 40F on the bottom, but not noticeable with the heat generated by exertion.

Upon surfacing, the boat came over and picked me up. Fran has his scallop divers all dive with flags which allows them to go where the scallops lead them, then be picked up where they end up. Works out great.

I like to shuck my own scallops, but Fran and his first mate help schuck for everybody, which speeds things up. Couldn't get better service. He even asked if I like to leave the cartilage on or have it removed when shucked, the latter being how I usually do it. Saves quite a bit of time later. Very thoughtful.

We moved about a mile to the sheltered side of Eagle Rock for a shallower second dive. This area was mostly around 50' deep and turned out to be quite productive. Same water temps, but the vis was better, about 15-25'. Also, these beds were less scattered and I was able to completely fill the big bag in about 55 minutes. Hadn't had such a good take in a long time! And I didn't come close to having a heart attack or getting winded! Okay, maybe a little winded now and then.... :D

This full bag would be a real bear later when hauled up by the mate, so I attached my lift bag and partially filled it to the point of almost lifting the scallop bag off the bottom. Then I headed up slowly. As I was taking my safety stop, I noticed shucked shells slowly fluttering down nearby. I hadn't heard a boat motor, so I think Fran had figured the drift just right. I'm about to start gushing compliments again.... :D

Everyone had found scallops and was happy. Quite a day!

I'm already looking over Fran's schedule for the next trip! :)

Pics follow.

Dave C

Off Eagle Rock, the scallops were less scattered, and several could often be seen from the same point in the better vis. Only one upside down scallop in this shot at 50', but it gives an idea of the gravel bottom, etc.
P6010010_CCR_R900.jpg

Love to see these babies! Like finding gold nuggets!
P6010009_CCR_R900.jpg

It's been a long time since I made a haul like this! Couldn't have dragged it around without the tuna ball. It was very heavy, even under water. The tuna ball is 15" in diameter.
P6010014_ACt_R900.jpg

Last edited:
Your post makes me hungry..... :D

A buddy of mine was out with Fran last Thursday or Friday and he did great. This was an opportunity to try out his new dry suit (he dove once before with it and came back with a 3lb lobster). He ended up heading home with over 7 lbs. of shucked scallops. It sounds like Fran is hitting them consistently lately. My buddy and I have been out on Fran's boat several times (and we each own perfectly seaworthy boats) and can't wait to get back out there.

Great post! How do you use the tuna ball? You're able to bring it down to the bottom with you? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Great post! How do you use the tuna ball? You're able to bring it down to the bottom with you? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Thx! I'll add some pics later to clarify, but here's the setup:

• flag line end clips to tuna ball
  • flag has 18" line and is clipped to tuna ball
  • flag line handle is clipped to main catch bag and bag is suspended just off the bottom
  • 20' tether line is clipped to main catch bag and bungie end loops over diver's wrist
  • diver hand-carries small transfer bag
HTH. Pics will make it clearer later. (ADDED 11:50am EDT, see below)

Dave C

P6030002_Ro_ACt_M-Cr_R900.jpg

P6030006_ACt_R900.jpg

P6030003_ACt_R900.jpg

Last edited:
For me, it's been years since I've done any high exertion dives, or any real exercise, for that matter, so my main goal on these scallop dives was not to croak and ruin everybody's day! :wink:
Stop being so modest. You do shore dives with a steel 120 -- you can't be THAT out of shape! :)
Since we were all accounted for, we departed a half-hour early and then had a smooth hour-long ride, soaking up the warm sun and 70-degree air. We were able to suit up in the back, since it's a nice dry-riding boat. Only one diver was in a wetsuit. Brave girl!
Who dives wet at 80' in 40 F water?? :11:

Stop being so modest. You do shore dives with a steel 120 -- you can't be THAT out of shape! :)

I need the 120 for shore dives because I'm out of shape and I'm dragging a bunch of stuff through the water, including a tuna ball....you never know when salvage might appear! :D

I love to say to the cavers, "How's my streamlining?" :wink:

Who dives wet at 80' in 40 F water?? :11:

A nice young gal diving wet with her boyfriend who was in a drysuit.

One of the other divers told the boyfriend, "she's a keeper"!

I was impressed that she did two dives in that 40-degree water and stayed in for 24 minutes on the second dive!

She was cold, but not complaining. Yes, definitely "a keeper"! :)

Dave C

Last edited:
I like the set-up, but I can't believe that your plastic line handle is strong enough to hold up to a suspended bag of scallops w/o breaking. Did you make it yourself or buy it? what is it made of?

opps.. just re-read your original post and see that it is homemade 1/4 inch lexan - still don't see how it doesn't just crush from the weight...

I like the set-up, but I can't believe that your plastic line handle is strong enough to hold up to a suspended bag of scallops w/o breaking. Did you make it yourself or buy it? what is it made of?

opps.. just re-read your original post and see that it is homemade 1/4 inch lexan - still don't see how it doesn't just crush from the weight...

It would seem that way, but the direction of pull is only slightly oblique to the plane of the handle, so it's extremely strong.

In fact, I just hooked my flag line over a beam in the basement and almost lifted myself off the floor holding onto the bag clip! No problem at all!

Even the commonly used flexible plastic/rubber handle, the shape of which I copied, can support a heavy bag if there is enough line still on the handle to give it some backbone.

However, after having such a handle fold up a couple times from the heavy pull, I decided to make this handle.

One of those times was after a friend had re-wrapped my line back on the handle after the previous dive. He thought it would be good to do it neatly, row next to row. Those neat rows actually reduced the bite the line had on itself and, on the next dive, the handle folded up from the pull of a heavy bag. Better to tightly wrap in a haphazard fashion with those weaker handles.

At depth, it gets very annoying to have to fix gear and waste precious hunting time! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom