Suunto Cobra - "No Fly" icon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTDivers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

Was just wondering if any other has experienced this with a Suunto Cobra. This past weekend took the wife and all of the dive gear to a pool to refresh our dive drills when I noticed that after just 11 minutes at 12-13 feet I was getting the "NO FLY" icon on my Suunto Cobra. Know I am also reviewing my manual on this, however it seems rather odd that I am getting this warning so quickly. Has anyone else experienced this as well. And yes I am reviewing the manual as well as sending this post. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'm pretty sure if the computer thinks that you get any residual nitrogen at all (i.e. any dive that is not a surface swim - basically any dive where it goes into dive mode) that it kicks into its minimal interval for no fly time.

Happens with my D9 also.

-Andy

I've never had a problem but you can try taking out the battery to reset it if it happens again. I did that with an older Suunto that was a bit wacky and it worked fine after that. How long did it stay on for?

I dive a D9 and a Cobra with no problems.

Well I dropped the ball on that one:11:.....Monitoring the total time the Cobra was in "No Fly" mode would be using way too much logic. I guess I will need to do another pool water test to see if it trips again, and this time monitor the mode time... The manual really does not go into too much detail other than the obvious...."don't fly if this icon is displayed". The computer is only two years old, I would think it should not do this. My first one flipped out and was replaced by the company. I have been contemplating the investment of a D9, however I am nervous of going with the same company....still on the fence and determining what supplier can offer me the best deal.

From what I understand -If the Cobra is in gauge mode it will automatically show a no dive time of 48 hrs. if it is activated in any dive. Not sure if you had it in gauge mode when you did the pool dive? I unknowingly did this on a dive trip and lost the use of the cobra in computer mode, as we were doing multipel dives/day for a week.

Yes, It is normal for Suunto computers if they are in gauge mode to both show no fly (probably for 48 hrs) AND block mode change to any of the other dive modes until that time has passed.

They are obviously doing this so the computer has an accurate track of your residual nitrogen.

Sure uninformed people could dive with a computer after diving without the computer but this is obviously going to cause erroneous calculations and people should know that this is a no-no. The lock in to gauge mode I guess is just to make it obvious that they haven't accumulated the saturation information (for people who skipped that very important bit of the manual that says that in gauge mode no tissue information is accumulated).

-Andy

Back
Top Bottom