Zeagle Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texas-buzzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My U.S. Divers Calypso of 15 yrs. finally went south and i went with an escape from Zeagle. I have always used a weight belt in the past but now i have option of an integrated weight system. What are the pros and cons?

Monte

My personal opinion is weight integration is the only way to go. You can't beat it for comfort. A BC like the Escape also offers the flexibility to spread weight around with the trim pockets cradled next to the tank. The Ripcord system makes dumping in an emergency easy also. The only con I have for weight integrated BC's is when changing tanks, it is easier if you remove the weights from the pockets first. I use soft weight which increases the comfort level, but if you are using a lot of small soft weights, invest in removeable weight pockets. I know Zeagle makes them for the Ranger, not sure about the Escape. I have used my Escape with 10 pounds in the Carribbean, and 28 pound lying on the bottom of the Cooper river. It's a great all-around BCD. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Sean, I am hoping the higher weight pockets will help with my tail heavy problem since my bird legs offer very little lift. I normally carry 2lbs. on my upper strap but it is not very secure when diving. We will see very soon.

Monte

Comfort is the biggest thing for me. I feel the integrated is more comfortable when coming out of the water. The weight is supported better by your stronger muscles instead of sliding down your waist and pulling on your hips or depending on where you were diving, too tight around your waist or hip because you went deep enough with a thick suit to have to readjust the weight belt during the dive. I did both of my classes in Zeagle Scouts with a belt. I own a Zeagle Ranger and would not want to go back to a weight belt again. Just remember take out you weights before lifting it off your tank. The weight pouches should fit in the Escape too. I have to fold one corner down to get them in my Ranger. They aren't shaped like the pockets.

It is a matter of personal preference. Try it out and if you don't like it go back to the belt.

The yellow mesh weight pouches I use in my Ranger are shaped just like the pockets they go in. Sometimes I have to scrunch it a little to get it in, especially if I haven't unzipped it all the way - but Zeagle pouches are designed for Zeagle weight pockets - and fit exactly. The same pouches can also be used in any other variety of Zeagle BC (except for the Scout, which usually doesn't come with weight pockets at all).

The only Con of Zeagles weight integrated system is that it's not easy to dump just one pocket! :D Assuming you dump the weight on the surface that is no problem. If you dump it at depth, then the assumption is that living with DCS is better then dying.

The Escape is a very nice BC especially for the $$$. I dive a Stiletto which is similar, a bit more high end. I think you will find that the BC is well made. The design is somewhat basic, but what else do you need?

The only Con of Zeagles weight integrated system is that it's not easy to dump just one pocket! :D Assuming you dump the weight on the surface that is no problem. If you dump it at depth, then the assumption is that living with DCS is better then dying.

Actually, if you use both the front and rear weight pockets, you could actually dump around 2/3rds of your weights (front ripcord pockets) and still have 1/3rd of your weight in the rear trim pockets...I'm just sayin'.

:14:

Actually, if you use both the front and rear weight pockets, you could actually dump around 2/3rds of your weights (front ripcord pockets) and still have 1/3rd of your weight in the rear trim pockets...I'm just sayin'.

:14:

I think a lot of people are unaware of the changes to the new Escapes. :)

My wife and I got a couple of them and here are the differences that I can figure out (not having seen an old one)

No ripcord system for the weights. Each weight pocket has it's own separate weight dump handle.

4 metal D-Rings.

Are there other ones? (Those are the two that made us decide on the new escape over a Scout)

I dove my new 2008 Escape this weekend w/ 24 lbs of weight and liked it. I bought the Escape because I wanted something that was small for travel, but could still handle a good amount of weight for midwest diving. I also wanted the back inflate. At a price of about $300 it fit the bill.

When diving local I put in the front weight pockets and load up the front and rear pockets.

On tropical dives I plan on leaving the front pockets at home (save a bit of space...) and just use the rear trim pockets.

I'm still split if I should have got a Brigade so I would have the option of adding a larger bladder and running doubles. But I figure I will get a BP/W sooner or later and set it up for doubles.

On tropical dives I plan on leaving the front pockets at home (save a bit of space...) and just use the rear trim pockets.

You might want to try that weight configuration in the pool first. I tried just using just my rear trim pockets with my Scout and a warm water suit and tended to roll.

Back
Top Bottom